• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

autoFixExpressions

Advocate ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing issues with app.project.autoFixExpressions() (which is a utility function that attempts to fix expressions that a script may have broken, to be used like this: app.project.autoFixExpressions(oldString, newString) - see guide).

It works most of the time, but not always.

Here is a situation where it does not:

// create a new comp, a solid with a slider control, then duplicate the solid to get 5 solids.

var n, N=5;

var name;

var comp = app.project.items.addComp("test", 1280, 720, 1.0, 5.0, 25.0);

with(comp.layers.addSolid([1,1,0.5], comp.width, comp.height, comp.pixelAspect, comp.duration)){

name = "solid";

effect.addProperty("ADBE Slider Control").name = "My Slider";

effect(1)(1).expression = "thisComp.layer(\"solid\").effect(\"My Slider\")(1).value";

};

for (n=1; n<N; n++) comp.layer(1).duplicate();

// at this stage, layer(1).name is "solid 5", ... , layer(5).name is "solid".

// all expressions refer to the slider of the last layer.

// rename all solids and try autofix expressions

for (n=1; n<=N; n++){

name = comp.layer(n).name;

app.project.autoFixExpressions(name, comp.layer(n).name = name.replace("solid", "gaz"));

};

// ===> the expression in the last layer is not fixed...

If one replaces the line for (n=1; n<N; n++) comp.layer(1).duplicate(); by

for (n=1; n<N; n++) comp.layer(1).duplicate().effect(1)(1).expression = "thisComp.layer(\"solid " + (++n) +"\").effect(\"My Slider\")(1).value";

(so that now each expression refers to its own layer (same as thisLayer.effect(\"My Slider\")(1).value";), then all expressions are fixed correctly.

Should this be considered as a bug or am i doing something wrong ? I'm lost.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works pretty fine for me.

Using AE CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for testing Alex.

I bet that's my version then, CS5.5.

Xavier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm also running into this issue.  I find it works most of the time, but fails about five to ten percent of the time.  I'm seeing this issue in CS6, CC, and CC2014 (all in OS X).  I'm guessing this is a bug in AE but I've put together an example script that should allow anyone to see the issue for themselves.  Here's how to use it:

1.  Make a new AE project.

2.  Run this script

3.  Click the "Setup Example" button.  A new comp with a couple null layers will be created.  The second layer has an expression linking it to the first layer.

4.  Click back and forth between the "Rename: Blue" and "Rename: Red" buttons (this is renaming layer 1 each time).  At some point the expression should break.  It might only take a couple clicks, or it could take 20.

5.  To speed things up, you can click the "Rename 20x" button.  It will toggle the layer name back and forth 20 times after each click.  Each time the layer is renamed, the autoFixExpressions function is used.

The autoFixExpressions() function is being used at line 26.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave Jacobson

function autoFixExpressionsExample() {

//setup GUI

win=new Window("palette","autoFixExpressions()",[0,0,170,125],{resizeable:true,});

setup=win.add("button",[5,5,155,25],"Setup Example");

rename1=win.add("button",[5,30,155,50],"Rename: Blue");

rename2=win.add("button",[5,55,155,75],"Rename: Red");

rename20x=win.add("button",[5,80,155,100],"Rename 20x");

win.center();

win.show();

//button actions

setup.onClick = function() {setupExample()}

rename1.onClick = function() {renameLayer("blue")}

rename2.onClick = function() {renameLayer("red")}

rename20x.onClick = function() {rename20times()}

function rename20times() {

for (var n=0; n<20; n++) {

renameLayer("blue");

renameLayer("red");

}

}

function renameLayer(newName) {

if (app.project.activeItem instanceof CompItem) {

var oldName = app.project.activeItem.layer(1).name;

app.project.activeItem.layer(1).name = newName;

app.project.autoFixExpressions(oldName,newName);

}

}

function setupExample() {

var newComp = app.project.items.addComp("example", 1920, 1080, 1.0, 1, 23.976);

newComp.openInViewer();

newComp.layers.addNull(1);

newComp.layers.addNull(1);

newComp.layer(2).property("Position").expression = ("thisComp.layer(\""+newComp.layer(1).name+"\").transform.position");

}

}

autoFixExpressionsExample();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, i clicked repeatedly on "Rename 20x" and everything was fine: no expression break, and in the info panel the line: Fixed 1 expression(s).

Windows 7, After Effects CC 13.2.0.49

Xavier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for testing this Xavier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't have any issues with the the last piece of code... but having similar issue...

Copying layers from one comp to another, each relying on other layers names, ie. using layer.x.index, so as they copy over

the expressions are disabled, as temporarily layers are missing so cannot see eachother initially.

I then run autoFixExpressions(name, name);   (as they are disabled, just need to be enabled)  and it fixes as many layers as I want,

except a final one, it just doesn't bother to do, don't know why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dave, late to the game. But I can confirm the behaviour of your script is as you describe in CS6 on MacOS 10.11. Good to know still, I guess, when trying to be backwards compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines