• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automation Blocks - Multiple csv usage

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on using spreadsheets for a setup solution on a show to build a shot from a template and add info and footage from shot folders. Since I'm trying to make it usable for multiple shows as well, I was hoping to export out data from Shotgun to assist this process.

With Mathias' help, I was able to understand linking to my shot table and this was very helpful. I first wanted to share his recommendation to the community. This was the table export from Shotgun.

ShotTable.png

and this was Mathias' recommendation.

you can first set the variable “Show Name” to an empty list and then loop over all rows of the spreadsheet. For each of those rows, you then add the cell from the column you want to that list and after the loop finished, the list then contains all entries from the spreadsheet.

SpreadsheetList.png

----------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to expand this concept further, by using other tables to further drill down into the data along the lines of...

ExampleSelector.png

The only thing I've changed from the example blocks is "dropdown from spreadsheet" to "Show".

I can export a sequence table from a single show that has all of the shots listed in th 7th column.

SequenceTable.png

Alternately, I can export a shots table from a single show that has pretty much all the data, but since these lists could get long with more than 200 shots, my thinking was to have the three limiters that would hopefully keep the lists manageable.

ShotTable.png

----------------------------------------------------------

Having said all that, what I'm looking for is if you have any recommendations on:

1. Which table would you recommend to parse Sequence, or Shots.
  2. How do you select specific columns in the "For Each Row/Column of Spreadsheet" block? Changing "with cell B as" to "my cell 3" didn't seem to work.
  3.  Is it possible to dynamically update the next dropdown based on the prior? i.e. Can a Sequences dropdown switch to a different show specific spreadsheet and be presented in the "custom input dialog with close options"? if the Show dropdown is changed?

I know this is a big question, and there are a lot of moving parts here, but any input or insights would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Here is a sample implementation. I didn't test it, since I didn't have a spreadsheet file with the format in your screenshots. But it should work with the first sample you gave (where each sequence has a single row and contains all its shots in column G)
Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 10.57.08.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

hmm, maybe the sequence name is not in column F or your spreadsheet?

To check what is going wrong I would add a Write to Console block before the if-statement and use it to print both "Sequence Type" and "column Sequence Type" to the console. Then you can check which values are actually equality-checked and why they never seem to be equal.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To read more than the first two rows, you need to click on the blue cog wheel of the block to add rows C, D,...
there is no way to only ready row A and E, for example, you have to read A,B,C,D,E then and ignore the values you don't need.
spreadsheet_for_each_row_add_more_rows.png

"my cell 1" and "my cell 2" are just the names of the variables which store the values of the sells. You can give them any names, but the names themselves do not change the row from which they are read.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like what you want to achieve is to have three dropdown lists Show, Sequence, Shot, such that when "Show" is changed, the available choices for "Sequence" and "Shot" are changed. This is not possible inside a single dialog with Automation Blocks.

The only thing you can do is
1. show a dialog where the user can only choose the show
2. from the spreadsheet read all scenes of exactly the show the user has chosen and show a second dialog to select one of those scenes
3. from the spreadsheet read all the shots of exactly the show and scene that the user has chosen in step 1 and 2 and show a third dialog where the user can now choose that shot.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a sample implementation. I didn't test it, since I didn't have a spreadsheet file with the format in your screenshots. But it should work with the first sample you gave (where each sequence has a single row and contains all its shots in column G)
Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 10.57.08.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly. Thank you!

I'd like to extend the functionality a little further. I work on projects in different phases of production. Previsualization, Postvisualizaton, and Finals. As shots progress, they will sometimes change numbers so we just denote a different "phase" and kind of start over. So I've got an column that denotes a sequence "Type" which is the phase of production.

SequenceType.png

How can I limit the drop down list to just sequences of particular type?

LimitByType.png

I'm thinking it's somewhere in the "in list" block, but I just don't know the syntax.

As always, any insight is super appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest thing would be to replace the "in list insert at" block by an if statement with the "in list inside" inside.
Then in the if block you can add a condition to only add the sequence column entry to the list, if Sequence Type colum equals "Finals", for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swear I'm not trying to be ignorant (not willfully anyway), but when impementing your recommendation, I get no Sequence list at all now. I've updated the variables to be a uniform to help be super clear.

InListInsideIf.png

I've included the console to show that "Sequence Type" is set correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, maybe the sequence name is not in column F or your spreadsheet?

To check what is going wrong I would add a Write to Console block before the if-statement and use it to print both "Sequence Type" and "column Sequence Type" to the console. Then you can check which values are actually equality-checked and why they never seem to be equal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a Uppercase on one value and a lowercase on the other value. Fixed at the source of Export.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great that you could solve it!
Write to Console is often a life saver if you have no idea what exactly is going wrong. The more experience you gain, the quicker you will be able to solve these issues and idendify exactly the point where things go wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines