• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Cache File Location?

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2024 Aug 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two SSD drives I use on my computer. One is for the Windows OS (where my Adobe programs are installed to) and the other is my where I keep my project files (and only work from this drive). I always set all my Adobe cache file locations to the same folder on my SSD drive that has my OS/Adobe apps.

I'm wondering if I'd have better performance if I moved the cache file folder to the other SSD, where my apps are not located? However, that would put in on the same drive as my project files (which I've read you don't want to do).

So which is a better location, the OS drive or the projects drive (without my OS or apps)? I also have other internal SATA drives I could use, if that's a better option.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2024 Aug 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll happily welcome the opinion of anyone who's more of an expert on computer hardware, but here's my two cents:

I have a dedicated NVMe drive just for my cache. 

With the speed of modern drives, I doubt you'll feel a difference in speeds vs putting your cache on a drive shared with other content - but since the cache drive is constantly being written and overwritten, having it on a separate drive keeps that wear and tear from affecting one of your more "important" drives. If you've got the physical space / ports, that also means you can get a super fast cache drive without having to pay for one that's also large enough to hold multiple things. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would recommend you choose faster SSD drive equipped in your PC. If the two SSDs are the same type, you choose the drive where the OS is not installed. It does not matter wherever you save your project files. It is a matter of the access frequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines