• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best method for video non uniform scaling?

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very small video of size 160×210 px. I want to scale it to 1200×870 px, thereby changing its proportions.

What's the best method to achieve an acceptable result? 

I tried using the detail preserving upscale, but that effect only performs uniform scaling, while i want to non uniformly scale the dimensions. Consider that the original video is the screen capture of a very old atari game, hence it has very few colors and pixels.

Thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

I think for pixel art stuff you are actually better off using nearest neighbor scaling. Toggle the little diagonal line until it shows blocks on your layer and then scale non-uniformly from there by unlinking the scale property. 

scrozier_0-1681754268109.png

scrozier_1-1681754321913.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think for pixel art stuff you are actually better off using nearest neighbor scaling. Toggle the little diagonal line until it shows blocks on your layer and then scale non-uniformly from there by unlinking the scale property. 

scrozier_0-1681754268109.png

scrozier_1-1681754321913.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, this did a nice job! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, if its not archival footage, you could download a  video game emulator (not going to get into the legal argument) and you could try screen capturing that as most emulators have custom built scaling engines for pixel art that do a better balance between detail and smoothness. If you really want to go into the weeds just look here: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel-art_scaling_algorithms 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines