Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blending layers problem while using VR Comp

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have to edit a still 360 panorama and add some effect to it using VR Comp 3D Editor .

I managed to have a few 3d layers with different blending mode working all fine in the 3D comp, but when i want to render the final flatout comp, all the blending mode are ignored.

I have seen a few topics about the same issue. But I can't fix it.

It is working if I use the VR COMP 2D Editor. But only the one facing the camera is rendered, no other one ;(

Any help apprecisated.

many thanks

Thomas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas,

Can you please supply the exact steps you do so that we can try to reproduce the problem here.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

here are my steps.

• Import still image 360 and place in timeline
  • Add 3D edit with VR COMP
  • Import footage and place in timeline.
  • Change blending mode of new footage to screen (or any other).
  • In VR COMP, Modify : everything look fine (screenshot 1, the white smoke inthe center).

Screen Shot 05-23-19 at 10.00 AM.JPG

• In VR COMP Output/Render, the footage has no blending mode (screenshot 2).

Screen Shot 05-23-19 at 10.01 AM.JPG

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas,

I can confirm that this is a bug with the "Add 3D Edit" feature in VR Comp Editor. I will investigate this with the AE team and report back.

Workaround: Please use the "Add 2D Edit" feature in VR Comp Editor. This retains the blending mode.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

please note that the Add 2D Edit work for 1 blended layer only, the one in front of the camera. It does not work with multiple footages/layers. So it is not a working solution neither.

Process :

• Import still image 360 and place in timeline
  • Add 2D edit with VR COMP
  • Import multiple footage and place in timeline.
  • Make them 3d so they fit a specific location (when rotating the camera).
  • Change blending mode of new footage to screen (or any other).
  • In VR COMP, Modify : everything looks fine
  • In VR COMP Output/Render, the footage that was last facing the camera appear fine (with correct blending mode). All other footage are invisible/discarted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas,

You need to "Add 2D Edit" for every footage that you add that is outside the original camera view. When you move the AE camera it will clip out anything it does not "see".

VR Comp Editor

1) Add 2D Edit, position AE camera, add footage, change blending mode.
2) To add more footage, add another "Add 2D Edit", change AE camera view, add 2nd footage, change blending mode.

etc.

Let me know if this works.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I'l try that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that a bug has been filed with the After Effects team. Hoping we can see a bug fix make it into a future release of AE.

Cheers,
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue and I have about 32 layers that need to be comped into the scene with various blend modes so the Add 2D edit, although a solution it would seem, would take far too long to accomplish as well as potential bloating of the final render comp. Another solution i was thinking but can't quite seem to figure out the best method is as followed:

Is there a possbiitliy to place all objects into their respective positions in the 3D Edit comp but then hide the original source layer the overlaying the final output (with only the the comped layers) on top of the original output render. That might be a solution but I can't seem to just hide the (VR Precomp1) layer since i'm sure it's pulling the source from another pre comp for the final output.

I'm not sure if I explained that clearly enough but I think this may be a temp solution until the blend mode bug gets sorted out.

Chris, let me know if there are any other solutions you can think of for a high volume of layers that need blend modes placed into a VR comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is what I worked out:

1. Import footage
  2. Create comp from that footage
  3. Add 3D Edit to that newly created comp
  4. Select the following    (Use 2-Node Camera)  (I am using 3D plugins) (Source footage has alpha)
  5. Position all your layers into that scene by importing various clips and turning on the 3D layers for each clip
  6. Open original comp you created before adding 3D edit (Second Step)
  7. Hide the footage in that comp
  8. Open Output/Render (you know have an alpha with all your assets placed in a rectilinear comp)
  9. Create new Comp with your original footage
  10. Drag in your (VR2 Output) comp (the one we just viewed with the alpha) and change the blending mode globally for all the assets you have added into your scene.

Now Chris's solution is great for 1 or two clips you need to add in, but if you're in my situation where there are 32 layers that need to be comped in (fire, smoke, atmosphere etc. This solution might work a bit better. You can essentially create groups of blend modes if needed. A comp for Additive, A comp for Screen etc.

Hope that all makes sense.

Good luck, now back to work on this comp. I'll let you know if I run into any issues while i'm going further into this rabbit hole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 and this insane bug still remains unresolved in this expensive subscription software we're all paying for (again and again).

I'm working on a 360 VR composition and have been bitten by the busted Blend Mode bug.

Your workaround does solve most problems, Sabour, but certainly (sadly) not all.... and having to use workarounds like this is terrible, really. It makes what should be a seamless process (and, composition VFX editing is a difficult-enough job as it is) and adds additional time and unnecessary complexity for the sake of "working around" a bug that should simply be fixed properly by Adobe.
After all, what are we paying them for if not exactly this kind of problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023.... still nothing.
Tight deadline. I will have to go without any blending mode for this project. Such a bummer 😞
I don't understand how we can't just click the "continuously rasterize layer...." that "star" icon, to make it work like we usually do when we need the comp to keep changes within.

Anyways.... this thread goes back to 2019, I don't think they care about it xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Knock knock. Any update for this? Running against the same problem. 

Adobe is lagging so much. 360 video's are super common nowadays but the editing process is still from 2018. 
VR comp is such a prehistoric tool now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines