Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Building a Super PC for After Effects

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of graphic motion type of animation and have noticed my current PC simply cannot handle the demands. The BIGGEST problem is that it takes forever to pre-render a scene I want to preview after making edits... I have a budget of about $7-8k to build a pc tower just for AE, what would you guys recommend in terms of the best cpu, gpu, ram, storage, etcetc on the market?

I've heard that the i7-8700K is the best CPU for AE because it has the highest single core clock speed @ a possible 4.7Ghz. Would you recommend something else?

For the GPU, they say it helps to a certain extent, but the difference within the high end GPUs do not make a significant increase. (Currently have a GTX 980 but is it worth upgrading any higher?)

I plan on running at least 2 SSD M.2's and a HDD.

For RAM, I was thinking of running anywhere between 64GB - 128GB @ DDR4 (4000 Mhz)

The only problem about running the I7-8700K is that the motherboards generally support only 64 GB of RAM. The kind of work I do in AE is very intensive for the PC to handle, would 64GB be enough? Or should I get a different CPU (+ Motherboard) so that I can have the potential for higher RAM capacity but lowering the CPU's full potential? Which one do you think is more important for faster pre-render speeds?

I've heard that AE CC 2015 or newer will no longer utilize multiprocessing, thus making most Cores in your CPU useless. Am I better off using the older versions of AE (ie., CC 2014) so that I can utilize multiprocessing and take advantage of my other cores? Would this give me performance gains? I know I'll miss out on some features but if it makes my pre-rendering speeds faster, it would be worth it.

I'd love to hear your opinions on a SUPER PC Build for After Effects.

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With my opinion:

Processor: Core i7 10th gen or above or AMD Ryzen 9

RAM: 32GB DDR5 (64GB is also ok if you have the budget with it)

Video Card: Keep atleast RTX 3060 or go to 4000 series (minimum RTX 4050) and Idk for AMD.

And GTX 980 will just overheat if you run much graphics work so as I said keep atleast RTX 3060 (3000 series) or RTX 4050 (4000 series).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines