• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can a mogrt have text box with angled margin?

Engaged ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to create a mogrt in AE with a text box that has an angled margin, so that when you paste text into the text field of the essential graphics panel in PPro it will break the lines at the point defined?

I kept getting an html error when I tried to post a picture in this forum, but was able to on the Premiere forum for some reason - so pictures of what I'm asking about are here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/create-mogrt-text-box-with-angled-margin/td-p/12090174

Many thanks for any help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of a way to do that in After Effects that would work in a MOGRT. The fastest way I know of to do that kind of typography is in Illustrator or InDesign. 

Here's a really great resource for Making Mogrts and it's free. Maybe it will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be doable, but it would probably involve a ton of sampleImage() hackery and then won't evaluate correctly in the MOGRT, anyway. Therefore I'd consider this a moot point. If it's realyl that important, this will simply require manual text wrapping and/ or doing things the hard way by importing pre-generated graphics.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you could use an expression to break up the text into lines, and you could have each line be slightly longer than the last.

Apologies for linking to my own tutorial, but in this video I show how to control the width of a text box in pixels by estimating the average width of the characters then using that to break the lines.  My tutorial is for a "square" box, but I think you could adapt it fairly easily with a line count.

https://youtu.be/AxG0qwSkOqs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know much about it, so can the pro's tell me: is it worth submitting a feature request to make the corners of a paragraph text box independently adjustable (or even add additional control points to the edge of a paragraph text box to create a shape with more than 4 corners), or is that asking for the impossible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I published that tutorial, it caused a little bit of stir on Twitter.  Dylan Reeve created an RFC / idea on User Voice for this:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/42422542-expose-paragraph-... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Such features don't even exist in InDesign or Illustrator, so chances of that ever happening are slim. And from a practicality/ efficiency point of view it may indeed be better to go all in and simply allow full flow control around any custom object or object group as it's done in ID. This would then simply be a native feature of the text engine and you'd only need to group/ link a bunch of masks or shape layers to define the area.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines