• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import videos after updating to 17.0.5 (Build 16)

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated yesterday and now I'm finding out I can't import video files!!!... anyone else having this issue? I get 2 messages:

After Effects error: Could not read from source. Please check the settings and try again.

(86::1)

After clicking OK I get another message:

After effects error: file 'name of file' cannot be imported - this '.mp4' file is damaged or unsupprted.

I've uninstalled and installed codecs, I've tied the quicktime fix, I've tried with mp4, m2t, mkv... no problems with Premiere or Media Encoder, just with AE.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

I just updated After Effects. The problem is resolved. Thanks to Adobe engineers team.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Verify version 17.0.6.35 the problem is resolved.

Thanks to Adobe engineer team

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 107 Replies 107
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Try moving your file to another location within your local drive and then try to import it. For example, your desktop. If that doesn't help then check if there are any special characters in the file name.

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, it didn't help. No special characters in file name. It happens with new files and with files I had no problems importing until this latest upgrade.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been much reaction to this bug, It's a big one, unless it's only happening to a few of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so annoying, if I could roll back I would do it but I only have "uninstall" option showing. And I have a lot of extensions and other software that goes along with AE and that means reinstalling those all over again. What a mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over time, you begin to use backup programs of the system!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying... most of all it's the lost time and how it affects your deadlines. Now I have to spend extra time installing an older version, configuring, and reworking projects that won't open in the earlier version because they were made in the latest version. But lesson learned, you have to work with a previous version because working with the recent one is useless. I'll start calling it The Adobe way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rockstard555, check out my post at the end to see how to reinstall After Effects 17.0.4.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cause is the last update published a few days ago.

I checked the files AE cant "read". All the files are AVC h.264
Adobe makes us dow again like with CC2017, when the AVC h.264 codec was removed from the export options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this was done on purpose? for what reason?... is there a an official post on this? do you have the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no official post as wasn't any post when they did rid off h.264 export.
I did try to import several types of video. All the files that use AVC h.264 codec (even in .mov container) are declined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This wasn't done on purpose. I've provided more clarification in the last comment on this discussion.

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue after updating to 17.0.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolled back to older version. Now everything works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't roll back, the only option I get is "uninstall"... which means re installing a bunch of other software and extensions... so annoying, sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version did you roll back to? 17.0.4 or an older version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here... Thinking of reinstalling the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry for your issue and thanks for reporting this. 

Can you try this step and let us know if it helps?

- Deselect Enable hardware accelerated decoding (requires restart) under Preferences > Import

image.png

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the option, restarted AE and no luck, problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annotation 2020-03-20 193503.png

Nothing changed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried... but it didnt work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying, Rockstard555, NapK1n, giovanim88175601.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines