• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import videos after updating to 17.0.5 (Build 16)

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated yesterday and now I'm finding out I can't import video files!!!... anyone else having this issue? I get 2 messages:

After Effects error: Could not read from source. Please check the settings and try again.

(86::1)

After clicking OK I get another message:

After effects error: file 'name of file' cannot be imported - this '.mp4' file is damaged or unsupprted.

I've uninstalled and installed codecs, I've tied the quicktime fix, I've tried with mp4, m2t, mkv... no problems with Premiere or Media Encoder, just with AE.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

I just updated After Effects. The problem is resolved. Thanks to Adobe engineers team.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Verify version 17.0.6.35 the problem is resolved.

Thanks to Adobe engineer team

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 107 Replies 107
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shaf,

That's odd! A lot of people reported success after updating to After Effects 17.0.6.

I'd recommend that you use the CC Cleaner tool to uninstall After Effects and reinstall it.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After nearly 2 months, version 17.06 is still not able to handle H.264 files. Rolling back to 17.04. Hope this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shaf,

Can you update to After Effects 17.1 and see if you experience the same behavior?

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Verify version 17.0.6.35 the problem is resolved.

Thanks to Adobe engineer team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how does one do that ? i tried to download adobe 3 days ago, got this message. uninstalled , reinstalled today, same message. how do i verify?  

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed. Still an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 17.04 can't handle H.264 either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He just said that it's fixed in version 17.06, unsure why you are referring to 17.04. Update and it should work for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated above, 17.0.6 does not work. Neither does 17.0.4. Rolling back to 16.13.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I've rolled back to 16.13 and all is fine with H.264 imports.

For version 17, I tried 17.0.6, 17.0.4, & 17.0.1 - none of them imported H.264 files.

This problem is not fixed with the most current version of After Effects (17.0.6).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, just tried the Beta version (17.1.1 [build 8]). It does not import H.264 footage either.

Data File: Unknown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still cannot import H.264 with AE 17.0.6 (build 35)

Data File: Unknown

Tried the Beta version 17.1.1 (build 8 ) - does not import H.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the H264 play anywhere? If so then it's likely to be a Media Cache issue in AE. Try deleting the Media Cache File folder. This problem was definitely fixed in 17.0.6.35 so if you're still seeing it, then there's either a problem with the specific file you're trying to import or the cache is old and needs to be rebuilt. If deleting the cache doesn't resolve the problem, contact abobe support and have them test with your source file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the files I have tried play fine and, to insure that it isn't the specific file, I have tried many different files - some from the camera, some that have been exported from Encoder, others downloaded from external sources.

Will try deleting the Media Cache and see if this helps.

FYI, Adobe has reached out to me to inquire about this issue. Solution pending, but kuddos to the Adobe Support Team!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No go on clearing the cache as a solution. Problem remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying Mitch411's suggestions.

We're here to help you. If required, I'll reach out to you personally via DM.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way its a specific file, mine does the same for audio files and other codecs.... Im not sure how it picks and chooses which files because some files of the same codec import fine. I downloaded cc2019 and it was fine then eventually deteriorated to doing the same thing. The only thing that seemed to work was when I created an entire new login side to the mac and utilized AE there... every single thing imported fine then... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm having this issue too. My message states "The source compression type is not valid 86:1"

I have updated AE to 17.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi chrisb94858317,

Would you please take a look in your MediaCore folder to see if you have any mp4 decoder plug-ins installed? The MediaCore folder is located:

• On Windows: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore
  • On macOS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/7.0/MediaCore

We've found recently that having certain .mp4 decoder plug-ins installed can interfere with importing .mp4s which previously were importing successfully.

If there are any plug-ins in the MediaCore folder which are decoder plug-ins or plugins you don't recognize, please try moving them out of the MediaCore folder, relaunch After Effects, and try to import an .mp4 file again.

Best,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem too.

In my MediaCore Folder there are Adobe premiere plugin format only, is that correct ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error, same issue.
Mac OS 10.15.6

After Effects 17.1.3 (Build 41)

Files giving the error: ProRes .mov files that play perfectly in Quicktime player and every other app I have tried.

This shouldn't be listed as "Resolved." It's been more than six months since the first post and this problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you happen to have NewTek NDI installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I don’t have... Adobe team try to answer me but nothing happen... The
problem is I don’t have the good dll in my folder Adobecodectiers2... I
have a Cc sub, but when I launch Premiere, it said I miss the codec, I
think it’s a windows error... what can you think?
--
Sébastien RADE // Créateur de contenu digital
[Personal info removed by Mod.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sébastien,

The problem you're describing sounds like it has to do with importing H264/HEVC files into Premiere Pro. You should repost your issue in the Premiere Pro forum. Be sure to include all the pertinent details like which version of the application you're using, the OS you've got it installed on, and the format of the media that you're trying to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mitch you’re right! But I have the same problem on after effects 😌
--
Sébastien RADE // Créateur de contenu digital

[Personal info removed by Mod] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines