• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open AE 2020 project in 2021

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open an AE 2020 project in 2021, AE doesn't ask to convert the project from a previous version. Further, I get an error message that references a particular source file and ends with "Data File: Unknown." This repeats for all the source clips. I reinstalled 2020 and the project opens as expected. I then uninstalled and reinstalled 2021, attempted to import the projeject into a new project, deleted preferences, etc. No joy. Anyone else having this problem? I need to share this project with several other users and would prefer not to have to tell them to install an older version of AE. Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash , Dynamic link , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

The only solution I found was to reinstall 2020 and then the project opens as expected and was editable. I was never able to open it in 2021. My eventual suspicion was that it actually had to do with broken links between Premiere Pro and After Effect sequences/comps. Impossible to verify. And so it goes...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if shortening the file path makes a difference. That is, try putting that footage in folders with shorter names. I know Windows has issues with file paths that are too long and it's possible something happened with 2021 related to that even though you're on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Szalam but no go. It happens even after consolidating with super simple file paths (see screen shot). It also seems to be happening with other projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that hte "Data File: Unknown" message appers to be targeting .mxf file (XDCAM 50 codec). If I go through the whole painfulful process of opening the project, it looks like .mp4 and .mov are coming in. But when I dismiss the final error message, I get  0 :: 1 message and everything that seemed to be importing disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution I found was to reinstall 2020 and then the project opens as expected and was editable. I was never able to open it in 2021. My eventual suspicion was that it actually had to do with broken links between Premiere Pro and After Effect sequences/comps. Impossible to verify. And so it goes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution. Adobe must advidce that if you upgrade your software you wont be able to continue whit your projects. This is VERY SAD,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Project compatibility is covered in the free, online user guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. It seems par for the course that the correct answer is "deal with it".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same AEP can be opened and saved in AE CC2019, AE 2020, AE 2021 and AE 2022.  As such AE will not ask to convert the project.

There's no need to convert to a newer version nor to save it separately.

There's also no need to use Save As to save to a previous version as long as it's AE CC2019 or newer.

To resolve the issue with the unknown file, isolate the unknown file and try importing it into a new project in the newer version of After Effects.

• If that works, replace it with a Placeholder (File > Replace Footage > Placeholder...) in the older version of After Effects prior to opening the project in the newer version of After Effects.  Then, import it directly and replace it's usage as needed in the newer version of AE. 
  • If that does not work, replace it with a Placeholder (File > Replace Footage > Placeholder...) in the older version of After Effects prior to opening the project in the newer version of After Effects.  Transcode the problem file to a file format that will import to the newer version and then replace the Placedholder with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still can't import large .mxf files (XDCAM25 or 50) into new projects in either AE 2021 or 2022. "Date file: unknown" error is consistently returned on import. My original hypothesis of broken links is therefore incorrect. It is a bug.

Smaller files of the same flavor do not have this issue. No problem importing large .mxf into AE 2020 or current version of Premiere. I don't think RAM is an issue, I'm running an iMac Pro (2017), 3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W with 128GB of RAM. Mac OS issue? I'd love it if a Window user would try to replicate my pain!

The placeholder idea is clever Warren and much appreciated. However you shouldn't have to transcode what is supposedly a supported format, especially when you need to do a last minute grab from a show to round out a promo. It's also a drag to not be able to use the latest version you've paid for because of something so basic. If you know anyone at Adobe, please ask them to fix it.

I don't know if it will be any help, but here's a profile of a typical file that won't import:

General
Complete name : /Volumes/G-DRIVE Thunderbolt 3/ARCHIVE_SHOWS/Shows_PBS/Asian Americans/Asian Americans_A Question of Loyalty_P527667-001.mxf
Format : MXF
Commercial name : XDCAM HD 25
Format version : 1.3
Format profile : OP-1a
Format settings : Closed / Complete
File size : 12.7 GiB
Duration : 56 min 46 s
Overall bit rate : 31.9 Mb/s
Law rating : TV-PG
Encoded date : 2020-06-23 13:44:17.000
Writing application : Vigor Systems Inc MXF Remux 1.0.0

Video
ID : 3
Format : MPEG Video
Commercial name : XDCAM HD 25
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@High
Format settings : BVOP
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Format settings, wrapping mode : Frame
Codec ID : 0D01030102046001-0401020201030300
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 25.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Active Format Description : Full frame 16:9 image
Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.402
Time code of first frame : 00:00:00;00
Time code source : Group of pictures header
GOP, Open/Closed : Closed
Stream size : 9.91 GiB (78%)
Color range : Limited
Transfer characteristics : BT.709

Audio #1
ID : 4
Format : PCM
Format settings : Little
Format settings, wrapping mode : Frame (BWF)
Codec ID : 0D01030102060100
Bit rate : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 29.970 FPS (1601.6 SPF)
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 624 MiB (5%)
Locked : Yes

Audio #2
ID : 5

Audio #3
ID : 6

Audio #4
ID : 7

Text #1
ID : 2-CC1
Format : EIA-608
Muxing mode : Ancillary data / CDP
Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)
CaptionServiceName : CC1

Text #2
ID : 2-1
Format : EIA-708
Muxing mode : Ancillary data / CDP

Text #3
ID : 3-CC1
Format : EIA-608
Muxing mode : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
CaptionServiceName : CC1

Text #4
ID : 3-1
Format : EIA-708
Muxing mode : A/53 / DTVCC Transport

Other #1
ID : 1-Material
Type : Time code
Format : MXF TC
Time code settings : Material Package
Time code, striped : Yes

Other #2
ID : 1-Source
Format : MXF TC
Time code settings : Source Package
Time code, striped : Yes

Other #3
ID : 2-Line9
Format : SMPTE ATC
Muxing mode : Ancillary data / SMPTE RP 188
Time code settings : ATC_VITC1

Other #4
Format : SMPTE TC
Muxing mode : SDTI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When something unexpected happens with source footage, macOS or Windows, it's always frustrating.

I'm guessing that an hour of 1920-by-1080 should transcode to ProRes in about 10 to 15 minutes and at 422 HQ require about 60GB.

Since After Effects is having trouble with it, Media Encoder might as well.  I'd consider doing the transcode in the Finder (right-click > Encode Selected Video) or Compressor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I know this thread is old but found my way here having the same problem and wanted to share. Have solved part of the problem (converting automatically instead of giving an error) by re-installing the last major version (in this case back from 23.2.1 to 23.0), opening the file in 23.0 (when the file worked), saved project again, then installing the latest version again and when opening the project for the first time in the new version migrating settings from the earliest version available. Worked for me, hope this helps someone else in the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2024 Oct 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I'm not talking directly to you Pshea)

And for people who don't have old versions? 

I don't understand why it's my responsibity to have a time machine. I can't just reinstall "my old version" becasue I don't have, nor never had an older version. Well then why am I constantly updating to the new version? because that is Adobes #2 suggestion on fixing any video issues. "Update to the latest version and see if that solves your problem". #1 being trash your preferences. There is a giant pile of useless files on things like "envato". I guess you require the authors to constantly be updating their files to the latest version. Some authour do hundreds per year. This is nonsense. You are trying to piss people off at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2024 Oct 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I forgot to mention that my beef is not with reverse compatibilty, but with Adobe only keeping the latest couple versions in their archive. lame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines