• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you group layers together?

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm working with a project that has many, many layers. Is there a way to perhaps group some of the layers together? Like eyes go in a folder and mouths go in another? Maybe there's something I can do in illustrator or photoshop to sort them out?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is called Pre-compose. I very useful tool. Select all the layers you want in a group and then choose Layer>Pre-compose or Ctrl/Cmnd + Shift + C. This will give you a new composition with all of your layers. It's kind of like creating a layer group in Photoshop and then making that layer group a smart object.

If you want to keep all the layers in the same comp you can select the ones you want to group and then right click on the little colored box by the layer name and choose a new color for the layers. This makes layers easily selectable (select label group) and then you can use  the shy feature to hide or reveal the selected layers. I use label groups in nearly every project that has more than two or three layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have 22,000 employees and billion dollar worths. I suppose all staffs have specific best selected degree. But still adobe has 0 IQ in such cases. I dont know should I even laugh. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple Motion is faaar better than AE. 
I find myself googgling a lot of this basic things thanks to the horrendous and unintuitive interface AE have. Meanwhile in Motion things behave like they have to behave, and it's far more intuitive lol.

I just can't believe this nonsense of not having Groups and having to pre-compose everything, it's so ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Will give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on what you're doing pre-composing may or may not be the best option.  If you're going to be animating all the layers then I might suggest parenting and working with Shy Layers.  Goodmotion also came out with this plug-in called GM Fold Layers which might be interesting to try out when the new version is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have released a plugin for Layer Grouping in After Effects also... with the brilliant name 'Layer Groups for After Effects'. Its on AEScripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it still available?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"THIS PRODUCT HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED". Bummer of the day, while I'm drowning in Layers upon layer upon layers, because splitting sucks in AE 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative script is "Zorro the Layer Tagger" by Lloyd Alvarez:

http://aescripts.com/zorro-the-layer-tagger/

It allows for filtering layers based on tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please Adobe, make folders in the layers like Photoshop and AI. It's been long enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines