Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Caps Lock error message

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2009 Nov 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
   I'm using adobe after effects cs3, and sometimes I get the error message as show on the red line at the lower section of my image in my attachment  image file which reads:

"Refresh Disabled(release Caps Lock to refresh view)"

This error message actually affects some actions my after effects project.
Please, does anyone know how I can solve this problem or how to  "release Caps Lock to refresh view "

Thanks and hope some can help

Ugoharris.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2009 Nov 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not an error message. It's a warning.

Caps lock is the key you use... to lock caps, ie the shift key (SO EVERYTHING WORKS AS IF YOU KEPT THE SHIFT KEY PRESSED).

In After Effects, pressing the Caps Lock key makes the application stop trying to render/update the contents of the active Composition. Why would someone would do that? For example, when the app starts rendering a Composition frame that you know will take a very long time, and you want to interrupt that to make a change, for example. Or when the Comp panel becomes very sluggish for some reason, and you just want to make a minor adjustment, you can press Caps lock, adjust a parameter and then see the results when you release caps lock.

To exit this state, just press the Caps lock key again (it's usually located above the left shift key).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I move something in my composition in happens, so basically, everything I do, before I can see what I do, I need to press caps lock two times..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yoranr18520874 wrote:

Everytime I move something in my composition in happens, so basically, everything I do, before I can see what I do, I need to press caps lock two times..

What, exact, version number of AE are you using?

What OS?

What are your system specs?
What kind of keyboard and how is it connected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using mac os , the latest version and I were also running the latest version of AE. Now that the new update came out, the problem had disappeared. Thanks for the service !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adolfo,

I am having the same issue, every time i move something or any other action (caps lock is not even on), I get the error, my art board becomes black, and I need to click at least 3 times in the "caps lock" button to go back to normal view. It is really annoying and it slows my work sooooo much, as I need to be clicking caps lock many times every 2 sec.

I have already uninstall and installed "after effects cc 2017" back, and the issue is still on. But this issue started only after i installed the "Bodymoving" plugin from Airbnb Lottie, and unfortunately there is no option to uninstall this plugin, is like a parasite , i can't even find it in the "plugins" folder :O.

I don't know what to do anymore to fix this annoying issue, please HELP!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this same problem. I have noticed that it is intermittent- I worked most of last night without it, but this morning, on opening the same file, it's back. I have de-activated and re-activated Live Update, but to no avail.

It makes working in AE very difficult!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the same issue man im running newest client update. It's super annoying, it comes with the error message even if the Caps Lock isn't turned on, and we all have to double click on caps lock for refresh it. Please go take a closer a look at it, and try debunk it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm still having this same problem and no solution. Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I re-installed the application and removed the update. Then I updated again and it worked for me. Hope this was helpful !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you please help me? i am having the same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey all

silly question but have you tried restarting the computer?

After some research I found that at least in the instances where it is happening on a mac, it may not even be related to adobe but something that just happens on a mac sometimes.The suggestion was to restart the computer.

I did that and haven't had the problem again since.

see if it works for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarting fixed this for me. iMac 27" 5k, AE CC2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well. It started randomly today. I opened one of my unfinished projects and it started to act odd and the caps lock message kept coming up even when caps lock was not pressed and active. I even uninstalled and reinstalled AE and it did not seem to resolve the issue. Hopefully Adobe can figure out a solution to this in an upcoming update. It makes working in the program extremely difficult. I can live with it, but it is extremely annoying and frustrating and makes me not even want to continue working on my projects 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I am currently using AE CC 2017, hopefully this issue gets fixed... it seems that quite a few people are having this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is likely something other than After Effects happening here. This isn't a widespread issue; I've only seen this thread about it in all the forums I frequent.

The thing we need to figure out is what is causing it. It could be a hardware issue or a software issue.

What input devices are you using? Exact model of keyboard, mouse, tablet, 3d mouse, etc.

Besides Adobe software, what else do you have installed?

Any OS modification stuff running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks for the response. I am on a Mac from around 2011ish and I use a non-wireless keyboard that came with it as well a standard Mac mouse that is plugged in also. I don't have a tablet or other things. I don't really have much else installed on my computer, I have the game Minecraft, Skype, Discord, nothing really intensive besides some anti virus stuff that my dad put on there since it's his computer that I use. I haven't installed any other software after getting after effects also so I wouldn't think it would be other software affecting it since it started yesterday. I'm not sure if any other added on plugins would affect it as I only have Red Giant Universe and Video Copilot and I have had those since I first got AE and it's worked fine the whole time until yesterday. I'll see if I can figure anything out when I get home today I'll try reinstalling it again and rebooting my computer possibly. You  know rebooting might fix it lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and don't use the wireless keyboard, either.  I've read reports that they can cause problems.  It's a bluetooth thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah my keyboard isnt wireless it's plugged. We got rid of our wireless one a while back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Has anyone found a solution? All of sudden, I have this same problem, it seems really random and I don't know what to do...

I'm on a Macbook, OS is up to date, as well as AE... !

Note: I started a new composition and the problem appeared just then and it seems to happen every time I want to move, for instance, a layer of text in the composition, or if I move the marker on the timeline manually - when I hit the spacebar it works fine.

Thanks,

Anaïta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that not one person having this problem has offered what exact model of keyboards they are using even though Szalam asked,  TWICE, for the exact make and model of the keyboard. The closes we got was

Werefie wrote

I am on a Mac from around 2011ish and I use a non-wireless keyboard that came with it

I wonder have any of you tested multiple keyboards to see if it is the keyboard?

Wouldn't it be wacky if it turned out you're all using the same keyboard?

How on earth will we ever find out?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Adobe CC 2017 Ae

This question is Assumed Answered.

01. This question is not answered at all, not even close.

02. I am now having the same issue after leaving my computer for a night with CAPS LOCK turned on; now the CAPS LOCK IS OFF; disability to preview is random, the message "Anzeige-Beschleunigung deaktiviert" (German Win7) is showing all the time, however some grouped compositions/modules are being previewed, while the others are not; the reason behind this is unknown;

03. The whole "CAPS LOCK" idea to disable preview while rendering does not make sense; Adobe developers made this possibly from a presumption that the machine will be used exclusively for rendering, which is not true with today's powerful computers; I DO NOT HAVE TO WRITE LIKE THIS DURING 8 HOURS WHILE RENDERING; a checkbox in the render queue would suffice;

04. I have tried reloading project file, using another project file, restarting Ae, rebooting Win7 - it is all the same;

05. The request for the Keyboard model and make does not make any sense as well and has no grounds; the software should work as expected with any keyboard, with any make, with on screen keyboard on or off it is irrelevant;

06. Why should I keep "Shift" while going to Edit -> Preferences to improve performance? Do you think it is fun and we professionals have so plenty of time to seek for features like that? Grow up, Adobe. We want a software that works.

Basically Ae was the only reason why I have kept Mac and Win machines. Now this reason is gone.

There is a much better choice for Linux these days.

Good luck, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assumed Answered is a system generate error... fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alxhk  wrote

05. The request for the Keyboard model and make does not make any sense as well and has no grounds; the software should work as expected with any keyboard, with any make, with on screen keyboard on or off it is irrelevant;

That's all super and yes, in a perfect world software would work with every hardware configuration.  However, the problem is obviously a compatibility issue.  If it weren't, more people would be experiencing the problem.

To me, plugging in a different keyboard seems like a simple enough thing to do, even if it makes no difference.  I just find it interesting that nobody on this thread has indicated that they tried plugging in other keyboards.  It's probably the first thing i would do.  That's just me.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gutter-Fish  wrote

ALXHK   wrote

That's all super and yes, in a perfect world software would work with every hardware configuration.  However, the problem is obviously a compatibility issue.  If it weren't, more people would be experiencing the problem.

To me, plugging in a different keyboard seems like a simple enough thing to do, even if it makes no difference.  I just find it interesting that nobody on this thread has indicated that they tried plugging in other keyboards.  It's probably the first thing i would do.  That's just me.

I do not know what "super world" you are talking about. We live in the world that we have now. In this world a commercial grade software priced at start. USD 300 per annum per user is expected to work on any hardware with any keyboard.

I have 2 keyboards - one laptop built-in anti-ghosting gaming keyboard, 2nd one RAPOO Ultraslim E9070, 3d - onscreen windows keyboard in Tablet mode (Wacom 27QHD). I have no idea how that might be helpful, but just in case - turning off / unplugging this usb wireless keyboard does not change a thing.

I find it indeed interesting why on Earth someone is expected to publish their hardware specs in order to resolve a Software bug with all this CAPS LOCK nonsense. I could understand if that was on Linux platform, but we are talking about Win/Mac boxes where hardware is irrelevant and abstracted (on Mac/iOS it is all standard, so why are you asking? just to ask something and take time even more?).

Are you an Adobe developer / team lead / project owner / product manager / quality assurance engineer / support staff?

How would you comment on these CAPS LOCK issues being open since CC 2014 and still not addressed?

CreativeCOW  - Isn't the caps-lock solution stupid?

refresh disabled is on when my caps lock is off? : Adobe After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines