• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Casting Shadows using Cinema 4D rendering engine?

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a comp that contains extruded shapes so I need to use the Cinema 4D rendering engine. However nothing in the comp will cast shadows. Is there anything I can do about this? I can't use C4D to do this project instead as it's way too complex but I guess I could remake the extruded objects in C4D if that helps. I'm on AFX 22.2.1. Thanks

Here is the comp with the Classic 3D engine. Objects cast shadows.

Wall (0-00-00-13).jpg

Here it is with Cinema 4D enabled. The frames on the wall are extruded and 3D but no shadows are cast from any objects

Wall 2.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure about the specific cause. If you are a Windows user, I recommend you update the graphic card driver to the latest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Refer to this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/composition-basics.html

There are definitely a lot of limitations using the C4D renderer.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That article doesn't seem to say much on the issue, only pointing out the limitations that pop up in AE when you switch to C4D. I understand there are limitations but objects casting shadows doesn't seem to be one of them

3D-renderer-enabled-options.png.img

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure what you're getting at. Your picture frames do cast shadows, they just look drastically different, which may relate to the limitations laid out in the help with respect to light transmission and transparency handling.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines