• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change text in a text layer with markers, possible?

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Im totally new to After Effect and video editing in general.
I want to make a music video that contains several songs and i want to display the artists name and the name of the song when that specific song plays. Lets say i have 20 songs in a video, i want to have one text layer that shows the info instead of having 20 different text layers.
Can i do this with just one text layer? And perhaps change the text with time markers or something?

I've attached an image that shows a precomposed music layer with markers showing where the songs starts and ends.

Hope you understand my question. 
Thanks in advance!
Cheers
/ F

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Source text can be keyframed like any other property, so I'm not sure what you are asking. And yes, if you wanted to go fancy it could be triggered with markers and expressions as well, but you'd still have to input your text somewhere. And for a measly 20 entries on a basic video the effort to create and apply the expression would have zero benefits over animating it directly or indeed having a few more layers. Anyway, you may want to read the online help on some basics.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have 20 songs in a video, you don't want to edit them in After Effects. AE is an animation, visual effects, and compositing application destined to create shots, not edit videos. The average comp a pro makes is one shot and short. Mine are almost always less than 5 seconds. I made one the other day that was only 40 frames. 

Do your effects on a shot in AE, Render the Comp, and Edit in Premiere Pro.

If you want a custom title to display the band name, open the Essential Graphics Panel, spend some time studying the Adobe tutorials and workflows for creating a MOGRT, and create one that you can use in Premiere Pro to add the names of the band. 

Creating a movie with 20 songs longer than a couple of seconds each in a single AE comp will be a workflow and rendering nightmare. It's the wrong tool for what you are describing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines