• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changed Composition Size - Scale All Layers to Match?

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to repurpose an After Effects file for another project. The original composition was set at 1080x720 in the AE file I received, but I had to change the size to 1920x1080 for the new project.

I've already changed the size of the composition using the "Composition Settings" but I am wondering if there is a way to scale/resize all of my layers to correspond to my new composition size of 1920x1080 without having to do a ton of repositioning. There are a lot of elements and transitions that I would like to keep, and I'm hoping I don't have to recreate too much of that.

I know I am basically moving from a 3:2 (1080x720) to a 16:9 (1920x1080) aspect ratio, so I might be out of luck here but I wanted to get thoughts of some others.

Is there a quick and semi-painless way to resize my layers to fit the new composition size, or do I have to resize each individually because the pixel ratio is different?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

1. select your 1080x720 composition in the project panel

2. go to file->scripts->scale composition

3. select "new comp width" and change it from 1080 to 1920 and click "scale"

4. in the composition settings change the composition height from 1280 to 1080

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. select your 1080x720 composition in the project panel

2. go to file->scripts->scale composition

3. select "new comp width" and change it from 1080 to 1920 and click "scale"

4. in the composition settings change the composition height from 1280 to 1080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome Ben!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, thanks a lot, It worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Huge help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the script to scale a composition from HD to 4k, it appears that it worked in AE, but when I export as MOGRT to premiere pro, the canvas is now 4k but the elements are in their original HD locations. How can I scale everything to 4k without having to readjust everything? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! You saved my life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I was going crazy... ) BIG thanks!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work anymore with After Effects 2020.

The scale comp is always auto jumping to 1440x1080 instead of 1920, and changing height in Comp Settings just adds more blace space.

This is not fixed in 2021, in need of help still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

damn why i didn't find that earlier? you made my life easier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bless you! It worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this alter the resolution at all? I know making a new comp to 1080 and bringing in a comp with a smaller ratio seems to compromise the resolution when I export––everything looks slightly fuzzy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I did that but the resulting images (layers) are now pixelated, like low resolution. I did a logo animation from an imported Illustrator file, with many layers.

Is there a way to preserve the quality or maybe reload the file to new size?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roei,
for me unfortunately the composition rezied not only in higth but also in width, even if I checked only "new composition high"t and in the origiNal composition I unchecked the "proportional box". What do I have to do to only resize either in height or in width? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, You are awesome. I was stuck in a project and this magically worked for me. Thanks a ton!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just saved my life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Im very new to after effects (im a graphic designer, heavy indesigner user) and ive got a similar problem to the person who started this thread. I realise its an old thread but I wondered if anyone could help. I need to resize an multi layer animation in order to repurpose it. It was originally made to be a web banner, now it needs to fit a 1920x1080 screen. I tried the fix suggested in tis thread but it doesnt seem to have worked and I cannot figure why. It looks like the actual stage has not changed. As ive said, im not the best in AE! Can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem, I needed to resize the gif but keep the same overall proportions. I simply opened the original animated gif in photoshop and resized the image and hit save. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines