• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing render format through ExtendScript

Contributor ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey. I was wondering if adding support for changing the render format through scripting is planned for anytime in the future?

The need for a template is a bit weird. I mean... While I'm sure there is a technical reason for it, isn't it a little too basic to be missing?  ðŸ¤”

Thanks for your time

Saar

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nothing "basic". Support for specific CoDec options is dependent on the manufacturers of said CoDecs providing hooks and this stuff is wildly all over the place. Hence there can never be an easy way to change these options dynamically. Adobe simply has no control over these things and from differing internal function names, modal settings dialogs to passthrough option at the lowest binary level trhere's a million things to consider here. If at all, it may ever only be possible for a few combinations. Otherwise handling it through the existing API-based methods via settings templates is way to go and likely will never change much.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.

how about making some built in templates impossible to delete so at least the basic concepts can be preserved. As I said, I understand there might be a technical reason for it, but I do think the option to export a PNG vs an actual video file is basic for scripting, at least in concept.

You can get the current selected format by using getSetting(), is it really impossible for ExtendScript to scan that dropdown list, then compare a string you pass (let's say "PNG Sequence") and see if it exists?

I understand the software isn't built linearly and it has more layers of complexity under the hood, but it's a dropdown. Is there really absolutely no way for Adobe to hack it to change the dropdown through scripting?

When I said basic, I meant the concept. Not being able to change the output format through a script is a missing basic functionality in my opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to answer! 
Saar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify what I meant to at the beginning of the comment, right now you can delete the templates that ship with After Effects, meaning some of the basic stuff like PNG Sequence can be missing on the machine of a user. It would make sense that instead of deleting them, the AE interface would hide them (that way they can also he restored if needed) and then scripts will be able to access the basics templates no matter what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are hsitoric limitations and unless the scripting architecture in AE changes fundamentally, I can't see how this will ever change. AE is basically backwards in this department and the scripting stuff is plugged on top of existing API functions, not the otehr way around liek e.g. in Nuke. So no, it likely will never change.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the insight Mylenium!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines