• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Child layers distorted

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2019 Oct 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To put it simply, I have a layer that is rotated and I want to parent it to another image, but the problem is that the layer gets skewed and messed up when it's made a child. I know the rotation is doing it because the image is normal when the rotation is 0.

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

It's most likely that your Parent Layer has a scale value that is not proportionate - something like [80,145], for example.

When you parent a child to such a layer and you rotate the Child Layer, it will inherit the parent's scale. To prevent this skewing/distortion, do the following.

1) Start afresh without any parenting structure in place.

2) Ensure the child layer's scale values are proportionate

3) create a Null Layer and drag it's Anchor Point towards the Anchor Point of the soon-to-be-parent

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. First thing to check is that your Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction switch is set (it's next to the 1View dropdown at the bottom of yur viewing screen). This will correct it you are not using square pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, but your solution did not work for me, but I will try to add attachments to see if that clears anything up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really much to see from your clipped screen photos. On first look it definitely looks like they are they are 3D layers, but the timeline properties don't corroborate that. It would perhaps help if you provided a screenshot of the whole interface with the relevant timeline switches for the layers revealed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it needed to use non-uniform csaling everywhere? When you compose in one movement 2 different rotations and 2 different non-uniform scaling, it make a "3D-rotation" effect and looks some skewed and messed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's most likely that your Parent Layer has a scale value that is not proportionate - something like [80,145], for example.

When you parent a child to such a layer and you rotate the Child Layer, it will inherit the parent's scale. To prevent this skewing/distortion, do the following.

1) Start afresh without any parenting structure in place.

2) Ensure the child layer's scale values are proportionate

3) create a Null Layer and drag it's Anchor Point towards the Anchor Point of the soon-to-be-parent layer - as you drag and get close to the target Anchor Point, hold down the CTRL/COMMAND key to invoke the Snap Feature.

4) Parent the Null Layer to the Parent Layer

5) Parent the original child layer to the Null Layer.

HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, your answer was very precise and it was the exact solution to my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting back and for sharing your kind words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, guys! This benefited my students greatly! 150 middle school kids are smiling in your direction right now! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

4 years later and I'm glad this problem I had when making a meme in high school was able to help others. Just logged on for another problem to see this lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines