Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clear all In/Out points in Project

Engaged ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Does anybody know a way to clear all InOut points in the project panel.

I want to put all my complete clips into one timeline so I can scrub through them all, but don't want to use the In Out points used already

Is this possible, apart from doing it in the resulting timeline then changing the comp length?

(If only you could extend the Comp length with the otherwise useless timeline top bar, that would be sweeeet!)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody know a way to clear all InOut points in the project panel.

I want to put all my complete clips into one timeline so I can scrub through them all, but don't want to use the In Out points used already

tristansummers​
1. select all your footage items in the project window
2. press Ctrl+D to duplicate them - this will create duplicates and clear their existing in/out points
you might at this point, as they are highlighted, drag them to a new folder for order's sake

now you got duplicates of the clips with in/out as the whole duration to do whatever you wish with them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative is to select all footage items and drag them into the Footage Panel. Then double-click on the layer stem, representing the footage's IO points (as you've also mentioned earlier). Then use SHIFT+. to cycle to the next item in the Footage Panel (SHIFT+, to cycle to the previous item) and commit to the double-clicking - it's pretty quick and is the best alternative if you don't want to create duplicate footage items in the Project Panel. Keep in mind that if you Consolidate Footage, you'll lose the duplicate copies.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Right click the top of the time line where the markers usually sit.

2. Click on "clear in and out"

Overall takes a couple of seconds, nothing complicated like the rest of this page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please read the thread before posting.

The point is to find a one click way to remove in and out points of hundreds of clips.

It is just a quick workflow way of looking through footage i AE, as it doesn't have a modern file browser, just a tiny thumbnail.

Then have a timeline right there in AE fro finding bits of clips for the after effects project you are in.

Without duplicating the footage, which could take hours to reimport from several sources, as the previous people working on the project did not tidy up after importing multiple badly collected projects from all over the place.

I was just asking if there was a way of avoiding doing it manually, to save time, and somebody somewhere probably has written a fairly simple script to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tristansummers  wrote

please read the thread before posting.

The point is to find a one click way to remove in and out points of hundreds of clips.

It is just a quick workflow way of looking through footage i AE, as it doesn't have a modern file browser, just a tiny thumbnail

Hundreds of clips? Are you editing in After Effects? 99% of my comps are one shot under seven seconds long because AE is not an editing system, it's a motion graphics and compositing system. In more than 20 years using AE I've never seen a professional load hundreds of video clips in a single project file. It's just nuts.

On the rare occasion where I need a lot of video clips in a single comp, they are always pre-edited in PPro and either brought in through dynamic link or the project is opened in After Effects because I can make a rough edit of a dozen or more clips in PPro in about 1/10 the time it takes to cut them in AE. Sounds to me like you are trying to drive nails with a screwdriver. Using the right tool for the job will make your life a lot simpler than trying to force AE to become a video editing app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know.

you said.

good for you.

Not my tempo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was very young my mother had a box of buttons.  Random..all different shapes and sizes and colors.  I always thought they looked like candy and I wanted to eat them.   Whenever someone was going to a store I always asked them to get me candy buttons but what they came back never looked like the buttons in my mom's button box and I always said:  Thanks for nothing!

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was your Grandma asking you how to suck eggs at the same time?

As ever over the years, I am not being rude. I am glad for a different suggestion once. But for multiple people to keep saying the same thing, again and again, that just gets to you after a while. I am not being ungrateful, I guess this forum is just not actually suitable for old hacks like me who know the program inside out because it has paid their bills for twenty years!

I was looking for a quick way to clear in and out points on multiple clips, because that was what I would find useful.

I know I could do it in Premiere, I just don't want to. In my case the set up time defeats the point of the exercise.

This is just a way of understanding the assets I have in projects. I can search for clips, drag them into a timeline, sequence layers and look at what I have in a window big enough to see. On my computer I can scrub in real time and it is all good.

I personally never set them in the first place if I can help it.

The functionality does not exist and nobody knows a workaround.

OK

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The functionality exists but in a slightly awkward manner - either re-import all the footage into AE, or better yet, into PPro; from which you can copy-paste the trimmed/untrimmed clips into AE.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you. all of you. And I do appreciate suggestions.

But when footage is all over the place, in multiple imported projects, by previous owners of the file, gathering all that together can take a bit of time, which I don't always have, hence original idea here.

It was just an idea, and it works really well normally.

Especially when you can sequence laers when you make the comp.

It is a good way to have a project wide clip browser, and I personally scan quicker scrubbing through one timeline than individual clips in the project window. If I am looking for a clip and I don't know what it is called I can scrub through and find it in seconds. Better even than a live scrubbing project window in Premiere/Flame/FCP.

I manage my projects well, and if I had set it up then certainly reimporting the clip folder is a doddle because that is where all the footage will be.

But I am usually clearing up someone else's mess!

It is high time I learnt to script then I could figure out how to build the tool I need myself, just for kicks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tristansummers wrote

Was your Grandma asking you how to suck eggs at the same time?

I am not being rude.

I am not being ungrateful.

I guess this forum is just not actually suitable for old hacks like me who know the program inside out because it has paid their bills for twenty years!

OK

Thanks!

Ok then.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will say that I have learnt something here, that I think many After Effects users, especially old Mac based ones need to learn and be reminded of, is that if you can, do it in Premiere! At least try. A lot of things are faster, and render much faster. I am definitely guilty of not doing stuff in Premiere if I can help it. Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines