Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

COMPUTER

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

I'm so confused about purchasing laptop for video and photo editing, I wanna work with after effect a lot, so which is the right configuration that I have to look for ? and please to recommend me some laptop that are good with after effect.

Thank you

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No laptop is good for AE, because every mobile CPU is limited in comparison to a desktop.

For a good working AE machine, you need a very fast CPU (4GHz at least) and a lot of RAM (starting at 32GB as minimum for serious daily AE work). It's also good pratice to have footage and cache on seperate drives.

Idealy, you need a laptop with at least 2 SSD drives, a CPU which performs at 4GHz as base rate and still have room for boost, 32 GB RAM and the option to upgrade and a medicore GPU like GTX1060 or higher.

The closest you can get to this is with a Macbook Pro. But from the price of one, you can get a high end workstation.

If you want to work good with AE, forget about a laptop. If you need to be mobile, forget about the "good".

Here are some real-work hardware testing with AE for further reading:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php?filter[]=After%20Effects

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"It depends" : )

I would certainly agree that a laptop isn't ideal. Video is very demanding on any system, and a laptop is a serious compromise on system performance simply because you're trying to squeeze everything into a box small enough to carry : )

But it does depend... If you're wanting to knock out the occasional 5 second video loop for Instagram - a laptop will be fine. Aiming to make a 30 minute HD documentary... forget it.

Windows options might include: Dell XPS 15, Razor Blade 15 etc. As Martin says - 16 GB ram min, 32 ideal. Dell do offer an i9 in their  XPS range, but I'd avoid that because it will severely thermally throttle in a thin and light laptop. One decent SSD (M.2 NvME) will be fine in terms of performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines