• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Controlling colors in a comp from the comp that contains it?

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere else, but I can't find anything (I'm probably not searching right). Here's what I want to do: I have a comp with two layers: each of these layers, I want to be able to change its color from an outside comp (that this comp and multiple copies of it would be in). I've created expression controls that I thought I could use, but I can't seem to access the properties of the contained comps correctly. From the parent comp, I tried: thisComp.layer("<child comp>").layer("<layer in child comp>"), but I'm told the second "layer" is not a function. Which I know, so somehow I'm not addressing things correctly.

Maybe there's a simpler approach? The goal is this: I don't want to have tons of the same comp just to change the colors of two layers in each one. Surely that can be done from an external control? Thanks for any help!

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Two methods come to mind:

1. Drag the subcomp tab underneath the main comp tab so you will have split view of the timelines. Drag the pickwhip of the color property from the sub comp layer to the maincomp parameter of your choosing (like a color expression control). You have now rigged the colors and you can adjust from the main comp

2. use master properties feature: open the sub comp in the essential graphics panel, drag the color propery to the EGP, now you can control the color from the par

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two methods come to mind:

1. Drag the subcomp tab underneath the main comp tab so you will have split view of the timelines. Drag the pickwhip of the color property from the sub comp layer to the maincomp parameter of your choosing (like a color expression control). You have now rigged the colors and you can adjust from the main comp

2. use master properties feature: open the sub comp in the essential graphics panel, drag the color propery to the EGP, now you can control the color from the parent comp by changing the propery in the precomps Essential properties in the timeline (it will be added there)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I was unfamiliar with Master Properties until reading your reply. That'll do nicely!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines