• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy and paste paths from Illustrator to After Effects is not working anymore for me, any suggestion

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have copied and pasted paths from illustrator into mask paths and shape layer for years. And now it suddently doesn't seem to work anymore in the new version. I saw somewhere online to turn on the AICB (preserve paths) option on under Clipboard handling menu in Illustrator Preferences, but it doesn't appear to fix the problem. Any suggestions... anyone... anyone?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karlab85774177,

Thanks for writing in.

What's the exact version of After Effects you're using? Also, are you able to paste data from any other app? Copy and paste was not working in the previous version of After Effects (18.4.0) but it has been fixed in 18.4.1. Please ensure that you're using the latest release.

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I was using 18.4.0. And updating seemed to help the
copy/paste. But now when I try to generate strokes with all strokes it
seems to only apply to 2 or 3 at a time. Any suggestions for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost never use masks with a stroke added. I copy and paste AI paths to Shape layers so I can use shape layer animators. 

If you really need strokes then make sure that your GPU is up to the task or disable it in the Project settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Rick. Neither is working right now, but thanks for your
input on your personal process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

Just following up on yesterday. When I try to paste my lines in the shape layer, I still get masks, which I thought was not possible before. So this is also something new. Any suggestions on that? Also, do you know if there are any issues with files from the Ipad App version of AI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it helped with the pasting But I have this other issue now. When I try to paste my lines in the shape layer, I get masks, which I thought was not possible before. So this is also something new. Any suggestions on that? Also, do you know if there are any issues with getting strokes from files from the Ipad App version of AI? Asking because the mask paths work fine when I create the paths in the desktop version of Illustrator.

Karla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a copy and paste bug in previous versions. Have you updated your program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick! For some reason I am now just seeing this reply. It definitely appears that the update worked this out. Appreciate the comment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For complex paths such as a text converted to outlines, you'll need to prepare multiple blank path layers for the pasted paths to land on. Otherwise, AE will decide to create multiple mask paths and do it that way. It's crazy annoying but there is a solution. Explained in detail here: 

https://www.provideocoalition.com/pasting-paths-from-illustrator-to-after-effects/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for this info. I'm okay with the multiple paths. That wasn't so much my concern. But always appreciate the comment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines