Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create Null From Path with Gradient Stroke

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I've got a line which I've used 'Points follow nulls' so I can control each end of the line, which works fine.

However I have a gradient stroke applied to the line but the gradient won't move when I move the nulls.

I've tried to parent the gradient stroke start and end points to the Null or the null position but it doesnt work.

Any help would be hugely important or just a work around for this.

Thanks

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

You don't need any workarounds. A two color gradient will do just fine. If it needs to produce transparency, simply use it as a luma matte. And even getting the ramp to follow the curvature of the path would be possible by simply duplicating the Null and offsetting it in time, parenting the trailing end of the gradient to it. Of course all of this will simply require a bunch more layers and soem lateral thinking, but it's perfectly doable.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a limitation of the whole thing. You will have to create the gradient on a separate layer and use your stroke as a track matte.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the gradient wouldnt move with the nulls?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will if you use the Ramp effect or other methods like simply parenting the layer to the Null.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive found a few work arounds that would work fine IF I had 2 colours in the gradient and that was it, however I need it to be set to all 1 colour and one end of the gradient to be set to transparent so the line fades out just before the Null.

But Ive not found a work around for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need any workarounds. A two color gradient will do just fine. If it needs to produce transparency, simply use it as a luma matte. And even getting the ramp to follow the curvature of the path would be possible by simply duplicating the Null and offsetting it in time, parenting the trailing end of the gradient to it. Of course all of this will simply require a bunch more layers and soem lateral thinking, but it's perfectly doable.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, thanks thats the one. Didnt think about using one as a luma matte.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines