Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crummy Camera Lens Blur CS6

Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Camera Lens Blur effect that came with AE CS 5.5 and CS 6 doesn't look nearly as good as the old Lens Blur effect that came with CS 5; it's pretty much unusable for my purposes. Foreground elements that should be sharp render sharp, but with a blurry halo around them. The old Camera Lens blur does not exhibit this behavior, nor the Frischluft Depth of Field plugin.

Here's an image showing the depth map and how the three plugins render it:

CameraLensBlur.png

The images are composited from 16-bit PNGs rendered out of Cinema 4D. There's a nasty halo visible around the foreground particle in the upper left in the CS6 Camera Lens Blur version. I saved the old Lens Blur effect as a preset out of a CS5 project and am, fortunately, still able to use that approach in CS6 since the "improved" version of the plugin looks pretty crummy (I skipped AE CS5.5). As a test I installed the demo of Frishluft's Lenscare plugins, and after inverting the depth buffer in the plugin I got a good result.

The "new" Camera Lens Blur is acting like the Compound Blur effect. Foreground elements appear sharp but with a blurry halo since the entire "background" is being blurred, creating a blurred ghost of the foreground element. The old Lens Blur effect was very slow, but it did work.

Anyone know how to make this new "improved" Camera Lens Blur look like the other plugins?  I've posted a zipped file with the image and depth map in a small AE CS6 project here if anyone here would care to check my settings.  Maybe I'm missing somthing.

CameraBlurs folder.zip

Thank you.

Shawn Marshall

Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

The After Effects team does consider this to be a bug, and it's on our backlog to fix. It just hasn't risen to the top of the to-do list because we have seen very few bug reports about it, so it seems that not very many people are bothered by it. We tend to work on bugs in priority order based on severity and how many people report that they are affected.

So, yes, do submit a bug report to cast your vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Szalam,

I know, but they're not necessarily watching this thread. Besides, they can't track forum threads. Bug reports/feature requests are officially tracked by Adobe.

Specific bug reports and feature requests go directly to the product team. So the best way to give feedback to the After Effects team. If you only make a complaint or comment on the forum here, it could potentially get rolled into some of the data I report, but there is no guarantee they will hear your voice as they would with a bug report.

One thing I do know. This is the main thread that speaks about Camera Lens Blur quality. If everyone on this thread make a bug report, it would make a big difference.

On behalf of Adobe, I do apologize that this issue has gone on so long.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just submitted another bug report. If you read this, submit one now. It takes 30s. This needs to get sorted. First flagged in 2013 and officially recognised as a bug in 2014 and yet still broken in 2017!? This is just shameful from the AE team.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its been over 4 1/2 years since this was first reported, you're fully aware of the problem (we shouldn't have to keep reporting bugs), yet its still broken.

When can we expect it to be fixed? It's gone on long enough now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this effect hasn't worked properly since like CS6. Ridiculous. It really is fundamentally needed for any 3d workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point I'm guessing Frischluft is slipping some money to an Adobe developer under the table to make sure the built-in plugin NEVER gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seb.James  wrote

Its been over 4 1/2 years since this was first reported, you're fully aware of the problem (we shouldn't have to keep reporting bugs), yet its still broken.

When can we expect it to be fixed? It's gone on long enough now!

While I agree that it should be fixed by now, you should still keep filing bugs (and getting everyone you know who's affected to file them too). If they only get bug reports from one or two folks, that's not going to make management assign resources to something. It takes person-hours to fix problems and there are a finite amount of those. Every time AE releases an update, all of us should file a bug report about this until it gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your point, but when Adobe has already said it's noted the problem, we shouldn't have to keep prodding them like this for 5 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please fix the camera lens blur halo bug, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question has not been "answered". I think the answer is that Adobe seems content with having major software bugs because they think they can get away with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no fix then?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is, 2016 12 25

The problem still appear in CC 2017...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cliffordli wrote:

This is, 2016 12 25

The problem still appear in CC 2017...

Yes.

File more feature requests!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question has not yet really been answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, still! It's still a problem in the latest After Effects. How the hell has this not been sorted yet... Adobe, just buy out the Friscluft plug in and let us have proper depth control already...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018 here still not fixed. Bug report sent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Danry86,

Sorry for this issue. Thanks for filing.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it Kevin, file it away somewhere with the rest of the bug reports for this, we might get it fixed by about 2030.

Or is that a bit too soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it Kevin, file it away somewhere with the rest of the bug reports for this, we might get it fixed by about 2030.

Or is that a bit too soon?

I'm not a dev. I do support and can only address troubleshooting current problems.

If you have complaints about the software, like a bug report or a feature request, please do so here: Updated link (3/19): After Effects: Hot (1390 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

I noticed that no one has actually filed this bug on the User Voice site yet. Can someone get that going and I'll start by upvoting along with you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember joining this lovely conversation in 2014, thinking I was late to the party... seems I was 4 years ahead of schedule. It's such a pleasure to receive email updates and know the community here is well. I don't look forward to the day where suddenly this issue is resolved and we lose the only thing that binds us together. Thanks Adobe for making this possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its been fun, hasn't it!

On top of this, every bloody year (for the past 5) I've been asking to get the Frischluft Lenscare plug-in for After Effects. Which one I'll get first, I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've literally had this issue since 2014, 5 years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please resolve this issue. It's been 5 years. We've needed this to work at our studio so many times now. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grab the depth blur from withing this lenscare packet here: https://www.frischluft.com/lenscare/

It's been creating way better depth blur since many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've given up on Adobe fixing the issue, it's never going to happen. I did however find a decent, cheaper, alternative to the Frischluft one. Have a look on AeScripts for Fast Bokeh, the free version works correctly and the fairly cheap Pro version is great! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on a fix for this yet, Adobe? 7 years is a LONG, LONG time for a bug not to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines