• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing a .ffx file 🤔

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys is there any way I can edit a .ffx file. What program can I use to do this? Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create and save your own custom animation presets and when you save it you get an FFX file.

FFX files are not directly editable. Dan got this one right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you even reply when you have no new information to provide?, I see you in every topic and never have I ever seen you give a useful answer/advice to anyone. God, I'm sick of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're talking about a preset file (.ffx), you can just apply the preset, make whatever adjustments you need in AE and then save it off as a new preset.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dan,

Is there a way to access the code of a .FFX preset? And does it require advanced knowledge with c/c++/py etc or would it be similar to dealing js/jsx/xml/json or extendscript language?

Thanks,

Youssef

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any way to edit a .ffx file, if that's what you're asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dan,

I was wondering the same thing with .plugin files (on mac) and .aex files (on win) sometimes you need to change certain parameters to fit your workflow, are you aware of ways to modify default settings which would be available as xml/json etc?

Greatly appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be really surprised if there was any way to do that. I don't think plugin developers would be happy if people could mess with their code...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't even know how to mess with a plugin's code to begin with, as I am a vfx/mograph designer, but rigging is at the core of my work on a day to day basis, and sometimes it becomes frustrating to have to do things every single time.

Of course setting a preset sometimes works but most of the times it becomes almost imposibble for me to manage that. For example I use a rig for shape layer gradients that changes the way I control them in a much simpler intuitive way. This is something I had built a while back and I update it constantly for my own personal requirements, as well as maintain several versions for different workflows.

However when dealing with the Gradient Fill > Gradient property , I can't find a way to use expressions at all, so the only alternative would be to use a 3rd party plugin which itself facilitates the result I am after. It would be convenient if there were some way to change those default controls for a plugin kinda like one would do with pseudo effects like if a a slider jumps 10 increments at a time, and you needed to change it's behavior by altering the "precision" value in the xml 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, your question about scripting in After Effects, check these video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOazhcjKFYU about Scripting Tutorial: Embed FFX File in Script

You can also check this FAQ about scripts in After Effects

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/scripts.html

I'm also recomend you to check these video instruction, about install FFX file

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE44K_cyGlU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines