• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Effect equivalent to Flip Horizontal

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to find an effect that is equal to Flip Horizontal.

I want the objec to flip from one side of the screen to the other. What Effect can I use for this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can unlink the scale values, and set the X scale to -100.

To ensure it's an exact horizontal mirror (especially if your scale is already animated, or your object is not full frame/offset from the composition center) you can precompose your layer and then preform the inverted X scale on the precomp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

Please forgive me.  I am new at After Effects

Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'preform the inverted x scale'

This is seeming to me that it's going to involve something 3D?

I want it to flip, but I also want animate kind of like a page turning.  So it's very thin at one point.  Right side up on one turn, and a mirror image on the next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2009 Jun 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't involve any 3D. what Steve is referring to is that you may wish to pre-compose your existing items to keep possibly existing animation independent from the scale. E.g. you may have your object already moving and you may want to retain that move on the page. This would only be possible by applying the scale one level above and making the existing motion a pre-comp, as naturally all scaling will be based on the anchor point. If you were to scale a moving layer directly, you really only flip the layer content, not the motion... Just try it, it will become clear. and for a page turn, you would not need to animate scale at all - CC Page Turn is your friend or you simply rotate your pre-composed layer as a 3D layer.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to second what livingDeadGypsy said. I have been scouring the internet for two days trying to figure this out. What I'm working on will be on screen around 4 seconds which makes it all the more frustrating. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Know that 11 years later, this is still helping people from shoving their keyboards through the screen. Thank you so much 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2nd this (and now 12 years later)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to flip an entire layer throughout its entire duration in your clip, just use Layer>Transform>Flip from the top menu. Any changes you have already made via Fx or animation should still work but visually reversed (not reversed in time, in case you wondered). You'd have to ask Adobe why, like seemingly hundreds of other siloed functions, this isn't in Edit>Transform>Flip as in Photoshop.

If you want a layer to instantaneously flip (no page turn-type animation) but in the middle of your clip, here's the above instructions step by step (minus the precomp option)...

>Open Transform under the layer itself,

>Enable keyframes under Scale and set keyframe #1 at frame 0, keyframe #2 on the frame before you want your flip to take place, and keyframe #3 on the frame you want your flip to take place,

>With the playhead on that last keyframe, unlink the X & Y Scale values, and set -100 for whichever way you want the flip to occur, horz or vert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! This is exactly what I was searching for 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks dude! I was always doing this through the scale values. This will save me so much time 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines