• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error 83 § 4, font dictionary. no solutions

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since either the last windows or after effects update (I did them in quick succession) after effects repeatedly crashes in progress or on start, prompting (before crashing) "After Effects warning: The font dictionary can't be read [...] (83 § 4)".

Premiere does not crash, but warns about a set of invalid fonts.

No other application mentions or has any problems with those fonts.

I used all of those fonts for YEARS without problems. If I deactivate the affected ones, everything works fine, but this is just not an option.

I cleared all the AdobeFnt.lst files. This works only temporary. I reinstalled After Effects and the Monotype Fontexplorer Pro. I reinstalled the fonts. The error returns.

AE completely crashes, even takes windows with it at times.

After clearing the AdobeFnt.Lst files and emptying the font cache, it works for a time (even with the mentioned fonts activated), then it complains and crashes again.

AE Version is 14.2.1.34

Windows Version is Win 10 Pro (all updates installed)

It's a i7-6800k Intel PC with 48 GB Ram and a GTX 970. All drivers are up to date.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Looks like they are now in C:\Users\**YOUR NAME**\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe\Premiere Pro\12.0\Typesupport

You now have to go to that Adobe file and click in each of the folders

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this out dotterbar666,

"The font dictionary can't be read" error in After Effects

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this happens to me too, every time i try to get help none of the solutions work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I of course checked the official solutions first. That hasn't helped.

The major update to 2018 has unfortunately not solved the issue either.

My workaround is having all the problematic fonts in one group, deactivate them, start after effects, reactivate them, open my projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work. I've tried it a few times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I received, “The font dictionary can’t be read” error in after effects – 83: :4 – for the last 2 weeks

I am at the end of my wits about this error. I have tried everything, even restoring my system from a month back using windows restore procedure. Of course that did not work. I even removed all of my fonts that didn’t come with Windows.

I am asking for help because I have a project in 2 weeks. I have Adobe CS 5.5 suite. I was so desperate that I uninstalled the full suite and reinstalled it.

I follow the instructions from "The font dictionary can't be read" error in After Effects

To the fullest and I have not had any luck. I don’t know what to do and I’m so frustrated that there’s no tech support (Phone calls) on adobe for the suite that I paid big $$$ for.

If anyone can help me. I would even pay you. I have searched high and low. Youtube and beyond. I’m almost at the point of reinstalling Windows 10 to make it happen.

I get the same Error. The splash screen doesn’t get passed the “initializing mediacore” prompt.

Help, help, help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@

marcusr10618703

Delete the all .Ist files in your users folder:

C:\Users\**yourname***\AppData\Local\Adobe\TypeSupport

Deleting them in the program files folders does fAll.

I've had the same problem after a windows update on cs6.

Also, google "take ownership menu hacks". Its a right click menu .reg file. It adds the option to "take ownership" of any system files that might block you from deleting. Handy in general when troubleshooting stuff like this...

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I installed AE 2018, this last week, and now I have the same problem. I use Windows 10 home with every update.

Of course I checked the official solutions first. That hasn't helped, and I tried to follow the nasg85's way ("

Delete the all .Ist files in your users folder: C:\Users\**yourname***\AppData\Local\Adobe\TypeSupport"), but I haven't the TypeSupport folder!

Somebody can help me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah sorry man, this was the solution for cs6, newer versions dont have that folder i see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx, i did it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue seems to have been solved with one of the latest updates. Thanks for that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like they are now in C:\Users\**YOUR NAME**\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe\Premiere Pro\12.0\Typesupport

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mapleandjamprod, this worked for me

mapleandjamprod  wrote

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well. What I did was searched in my computer box for 'AdobeFnt' then opened file location which brought me to the file location @mapleandjameprod posted about. So I then deleted all the font files (the .lst ones), within all the Adobe product folders. So not only premiere folder but AE and Illustrator too. I then restarted my computer. When I tried to open project again, error was gone and everything worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two years later and this just saved a big project for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same error. I'd recently installed a Google font called Comfortaa which was required by an AEP file that somebody had sent me; it seems this was the problem. I uninstalled the whole Comfortaa family, deleted all the Adobefnt*.* files and AE now works fine. It had previously been unable to load any projects I tried it with, claiming they were damaged, even if they didn't use this font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, after combing through font files on my C: , using downloaded font management utilities for 5 hours, found this thread, tried it. It was the adobe font datbases.

Action taken: Deleting

AdobeFnt_CMaps.lst
AdobeFnt_OSFonts.lst

From C:\Users\**YOUR NAME**\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe\After Effects\17.7\Typesupport

And then Starting AE solved it instantly, I can open my short film project now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you @Ocelot66!   I'm obviously running an older version of AE and was trying to continue working on a project but kept getting Font dictionary error 83 :: 4.  Very frustrating!  Doing a restart did not work, and the locations that Adobe listed did not exist.  But your solution worked! I deleted the same 2 files you mentioned and upon opening the same project the errors were gone. No restart required...  Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines