• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expression Error now Motion Tile Mirrored Edges doesn't work

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this has been super frustrating and should have been a 5 minute project, now it's costing me half the day.  I'm not sure what is happening so I need a fresh set of eyes.  I have the latest version of After Effects and these clips are linked to my Premiere project.  All I need to do is create a jolting wiggle expression to give some camera shake to a gunshot scene.  I had everything working fine but I made the mistake of precomping the muzzle flash in with the footage resulting in the shake making the flash difficult to see.  So I control z'd back to the start, leaving the flash on top.  I went to create the wiggle expression by holding alt and clicking the stopwatch, but received this error that turns my viewscreen black:

bandicam 2022-04-04 15-29-35-518.jpg

I can still enter my wiggle expression, and my footage reappears.  The wiggle expression also works.  However, Motion Tile's mirrored edges no longer work: 

bandicam 2022-04-04 15-31-08-645.jpg

I've closed AE and restarted but I continue to get this error when trying to create an expression.  I've also closed and restarted, and added motion tile/mirrored edges without trying to create an expression at all and motion tile still no longer works:

bandicam 2022-04-04 15-28-18-277.jpg

I'm not sure if I've overlooked a stupid mistake, or if this error has caused a permanent issue... I've also cleared my cache and restarted but the problem persists.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem , Expressions , FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

You've got the effects applied onto a Nested Comp which has its Collapse Transformations enabled - so, there are stuff in the earlier/Parent comp that's affecting stuff that you're seeing. Do you really need Collapse Transforms to be enabled? And I'd look at using CC Repetile instead of Motion Tile cos it has better edge options; one of which may lead to a better look.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a weird thing that happens, but maybe try putting the motion tile effect above the rest of your effects and adding a transform effect with the wiggle expression on it. Then, the motion tile effect will be above another effect (in this case the transform effect) and it will affect that transform effect, meaning the mirror edges should be there. Just a tip to always remember, make sure your motion tile effect is always first in the effects list, since if it's below some effects, it won't be affected.

~Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jake, thanks for the reply

I restarted and put motion tile at the top of my effects without even trying to create a wiggle expression, then I moved the footage position over just to see if it was there and it still isn't working..

bandicam 2022-04-04 19-29-31-763.jpg

Am I going to have to uninstall and reinstall AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got the effects applied onto a Nested Comp which has its Collapse Transformations enabled - so, there are stuff in the earlier/Parent comp that's affecting stuff that you're seeing. Do you really need Collapse Transforms to be enabled? And I'd look at using CC Repetile instead of Motion Tile cos it has better edge options; one of which may lead to a better look.  

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roland, thanks for the reply

I'm pretty much just self taught on Adobe, so I'm not sure I'm reading you right.  It's an imported clip from Premiere but nothing was nested over there, and I didn't precompose in AE- but that's probably not what you're referring to, correct?  How would I un-nest this, as it is just an imported video clip from premiere(it did have effects on it in premiere, did I need to import a clean clip?)?

I think I found where the collapse transforms was enabled- next to the shy guy, yes?  I'm not even sure what thats for but I shut if off and the mirrored edge popped back on.  One problem though, I'm now getting black lines around the border between the edge and the mirror.  I also tried Repetile, and it's giving me the same black line between the footage and the mirror...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, looks like I was able to get rid of the seams by dropping matte choke on it.  Thanks for the help Roland, and if you just get a chance, how would I import a video clip without it becoming a Nested Comp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To get a clip from PPro into AE, you can use Dynamic Linking by selecting the clip, in the Timeline; right-clicking and selecting Replace with After Effects Composition. This sends you to AE and a new AE Composition is created with the clip in it. Then, do your stuff and the stuff you do here will be updated via Dynamic Link. Meanwhile, in PPro, your single clip in the Timeline is now an AE Composition. Dynamic Linking is good for basic to intermediate compute-heavy stuff. 
Another option is to select a clip in PPro and paste it into a Composition in AE. After completing your work in AE, you will have to render out a QuickTime.HTH

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines