Exit

Expression errors after changing Windows user

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I have a quite confusing issue:

At my new job I just took over a After Effects video project from my colleague including his work laptop and all the files. When I open the project while logged in with my Windows account, a ton of expression erros are highlighted. Many of them indicate that the expression contains errors for this data stream and that properties/methods have been deleted, removed or were spelled incorrectly. Others show synax erros regarding 'unexpected token else'. All of them are connected to color expressions.

Looking at the preview there seem to be no visual consequences of these errors.

Interestingly enough: None of these errors show up once I log in with my colleagues Windows account.

The only thing I was able to deduct from this is that there could be some kind of meta data saved in the user folders that is missing once I access the project using my Windows user.

I also tried using dependencies --> collect files while logged in as my colleague and then using that project file while logged in as me - same result.

Does anyone have input on this? Am I safe to ignore these errors? Or should I convince my superiors to let me finish this project using my colleagues credentials since they only show up with this one specific project?

Windows 10 64 bit x64

After Effects 22.3

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by checking which JavaScript engine is set in the project settings. It shoudl be the new one by default, but who knows... Otherwise I suspect your accounts have different security settings and possibly other stuff like language and keyboard settings that mess with expressions handling. Impossible to say much without some detailed info. For the time being indeed working on the other account (or cloning it 1:1) might be the best strategy until you can figure things out.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried switching to the other expression engine but that made no difference unfortunately.

Do you mean dependencies --> collect files by "cloning it 1:1"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I mean to duplicate your Windows user profile.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ended up just switchung back and forth between Windows profiles for simplicity and am almost done with the project now. Thank you for your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines