Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expression help needed for lower third

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

I am creating a lower third and eventually I want to turn this into a morgt file as well.  

But my problem is the lower case letters are messing up the white and blue bars. I need both to be a fixed height.  Lowercase j's and g's and some i's make the white and blue bars to be perfect height. I need that to be a fixed height when I don't have j's and g's.

Also if there is a way to add room for the logo on the left to be apart of this expression I am all in.  As of now I have it working but the file is janky and isn't the best. 

I've attached some video examples to show what I am doing here. 

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Simply dial in fixed values and only use the sourceRectAtTime().width to adapt it to the length of the text. No need trying to be smarter than a Vulcan.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

I've found that I get much more predictable results with Essential Graphics and text expressions by setting the text on a "hidden" text layer, then using a visible text layer with the expression on it, getting the text from the hidden one's source text property.

At one point, expressions didn't seem to work at all with EG text, so I'm guessing the issue is connected to the order AE processes things in.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply dial in fixed values and only use the sourceRectAtTime().width to adapt it to the length of the text. No need trying to be smarter than a Vulcan.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've found that I get much more predictable results with Essential Graphics and text expressions by setting the text on a "hidden" text layer, then using a visible text layer with the expression on it, getting the text from the hidden one's source text property.

At one point, expressions didn't seem to work at all with EG text, so I'm guessing the issue is connected to the order AE processes things in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines