• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expressions depending on program language? WTF??

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How insanely stupid is this? I am working on After Effects in English. Now i got an AEP from a collegue who uses AE in german. The particular project uses a lot of expressions connecting to "Controls for Expressions". An when i open that project in my AE, i get dozens of error messages because all the controls and properties are beeing translated into english while the handlers of the expressions aren't.

Is there any possibility for me to fix this without changing almost 50 expressions in 15 comps and without changing my AE to german (because this would mean to reinstall the complete Creative Suite -- another fact that makes no sense)

thany you very much

u

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

When writing expressions using expression controls, it is advised to use indexes instead of property names, to avoid this issue.

effect("Angle control")("Angle")

becomes

effect("Angle control")(1)

To fix the project AFTER the expressions have been created, I know there's a script which does that, but I don't remember where it is, maybe you can find it on aescripts.com

OR there is a "search and replace" in Duik 15 Beta which works with expressions, you could search control names like "angle" to re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When writing expressions using expression controls, it is advised to use indexes instead of property names, to avoid this issue.

effect("Angle control")("Angle")

becomes

effect("Angle control")(1)

To fix the project AFTER the expressions have been created, I know there's a script which does that, but I don't remember where it is, maybe you can find it on aescripts.com

OR there is a "search and replace" in Duik 15 Beta which works with expressions, you could search control names like "angle" to replace them by 1

http://duiktest.duduf.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for the hints with the scripts. I'll try the duik, since i know that already (THX for that awesome script btw!)

But I think that should be adressed by ADOBE anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are actually 2 scripts:

TranslateExpressions - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

makes an existing expression compatible with your language (but with no other language)

http://aescripts.com/expressionuniversalizer/

makes your expression compatible with all language versions. But you need to run it on a system where the expressions are working (i.e. which has the correct language for your expressions), hence it does not help, if you get expressions from somebody else that are not compatible with your system.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevertheless, this "problem" is the same in 2017 and I'm keep asking me how stupid this is. Why are the names of these controls not fixed for every language and you are only allowed to give alias names? I know one can use indexes, but that's not the point. Even

Q-Basic makes more sense in that case. 

This is really stupid and makes me so angry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2023 we still have this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines