• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EXR Multilayer Alpha Channel Issues from Blender

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having some trouble with getting AE to recognize the correct alpha channel from a multilayer EXR exported from a Blender project I am working on. Blender's compositor is showing below with proper alpha channels. However, when I check "convert premultiplied", the alpha channel is speckled. 

ErikPatak_0-1681273141809.png ErikPatak_1-1681273152112.png

Now - when I bring this EXR into AE and use ExtractR, I get this - 

ErikPatak_2-1681273624200.png

ahah! It appears AE is doing the same "convert premultiplied" that Blender's compositor has the option to do. 

Unfortunately, there is no way to access the alpha channels options of this openEXR - they should appear next to floating point - even though it certainly has one and it shows up in ExtractR.

ErikPatak_3-1681273704971.png  ErikPatak_4-1681273727237.png

I've posted a similar question in the Blender forums as I know it might just be how Blender exports alpha channels within EXR files. I'm new to the EXR workflow and could use some tips! Thanks all, appreciate the read. 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has never been different. In a multichannel file the Alpha becomes "just another channel" and the default assumed channel order no longer really matters. This is in accordance with how the EXR spec is designed. Other programs just act smarter like Nuke retaining the order of the first four channels even on complex EXRs. Anyway, you have to fix it on the Blender side of things and/ or extract the Alpha as a separate layer, then treat it with effects and re-introduce it to your footage with Channel Combiner, Set Matte or simply as a track matte.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines