• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fade audio with expressions

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've taken an epxression for automactically fading opacity (which worked wonderfully) and tried to modify it to fade audio the same way.  Now, I get an error that says "After Effects warning: Expression Disabled. Error at line 0 in property....  expression result must be of dimension 2 not 1."

Here is the tweaked expression:

fadeTime = 30;

audio.audioLevelsMin = -50;

audio.audioLevelsMax = 0;

layerDuration = outPoint - inPoint;

singleFrame = thisComp.frameDuration;

animateIn = linear(time, inPoint, (inPoint + framesToTime(fadeTime)), audio.audioLevelsMin, audio.audioLevelsMax);

animateOut = linear(time, (outPoint - framesToTime(fadeTime+1)), (outPoint-singleFrame), audio.audioLevelsMax, audio.audioLevelsMin);

if(time < (layerDuration/2+inPoint)){

animateIn;

}else{

animateOut;

}

Now, opacity is a linear, 1 dimensional characteristic.  Why did that work and the updated expression for audio cause an error?

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Try it this way:

fadeTime = 30;

animateIn = linear(time, inPoint, (inPoint + framesToTime(fadeTime)), audio.audioLevelsMin, audio.audioLevelsMax);

animateOut = linear(time, (outPoint - framesToTime(fadeTime+1)), (outPoint-singleFrame), audio.audioLevelsMax, audio.audioLevelsMin);

[animateIn,animateIn];

}else{

[animateOut,animateOut];

}

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try it this way:

fadeTime = 30;

[animateIn,animateIn];

}else{

[animateOut,animateOut];

}

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!!  I see the small change that you made at the end with [animateIn,animateIn]; How did that effect the process? Was it like giving it an extra coordinate??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, stereo audio level is a two-dimensional property, so you need to provide two values, in array notation.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar question (I think)... where I have several pre comps that have different lengths, but use the same .wav file for the background music. The end of the .wav file has a chime timed to the motion at the end of the pre-comp. I'd like to be able to copy/paste the .wav file into my pre-comps, align the chime with the animation at the end, and let an expression handle the fade-up at the beginning of the pre-comp, so I don't have to go in and manually adjust keyframes.

UPDATE:

It works, but only if I trim the layer to the beginning of the comp. If I just slide the layer and don't trim the inPoint of the layer... it doesn't work. Could the above expression be modified to use the comp's In and Out instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like this maybe:

fadeTime = 30;

animateIn = linear(time,0,framesToTime(fadeTime), audio.audioLevelsMin, audio.audioLevelsMax);

[animateIn,animateIn];

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Ebberts... I don't ask for help on here very often. And when I do, I'm always expecting someone to say, "Read the manual." or "Let me Google that for you." But, usually what happens is that—within 24 hours, usually—I get a response from a Dan Ebberts (and a few other regulars) that absolutely sets me on the right path, if not solve my problem directly.

This is another home run. Thank you sir!

Consider the next beer/tab/round that someone else picks up on your behalf as "inspired" by my gratitude! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fadeTime = 30;

animateIn = linear(time,0,framesToTime(fadeTime), audio.audioLevelsMin, audio.audioLevelsMax);

[animateIn,animateIn];

This expression solved my problem, but then I created another one:

I want to move this expression onto a controller in my main comp so I only have to edit values for audioLevelsMin/Max in one place and have it propagate across all instances of the music track in a variety of pre-comps.

1. I added Slider to my Null object
  2. I attached the above expression to the slider by alt+clicking on the slider stopwatch.
  3. Then I got an immediate expression error.
    • The property name "audio" is missing...

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try this on your slider:

fadeTime = 30;

audioLevelsMin = -50;

audioLevelsMax = 0;

linear(time,0,framesToTime(fadeTime), audioLevelsMin, audioLevelsMax);

and then link each audio level to it with something like this:

animateIn = comp("Main Comp").layer("Null 1").effect("Slider Control")("Slider");

[animateIn,animateIn]

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Dan (again)!

I think what was breaking my previous attempt was that I was looking for audio.audioLevelsMin/Max where no audio property existed.

I appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Replying to an ollllld post for posterity:

This expression – specifically the part that creates new properties on the property group 'audio' (audio.audioLevelsMax and audio.audioLevelsMin) – will fail on a royalty-free render-only node (with 2020, at least). It *appears* that the audio property group disallows creation of new properties when in render-only mode. The expression works perfectly fine in the fully-licensed UI but will effectively be ignored during render (leading to Very Loud Audio).

The fix is simple: use top-level variables instead, eg. use 'audioLevelsMin = -50' instead of 'audio.audioLevelsMin = -50'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines