• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: Dynamic link between After Effects and Adobe Media Encoder doesn't work. Next steps?

Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: 

If you render your After Effects projects via Media Encoder to create MP4 files, there is good news. 

After Effects Beta version 23.0x11 allows you to render H.264 (.MP4) directly from the After Effects Render Queue. The integration utilizes Media Encoder's backend encoding system without leaving After Effects. For more details, see: Exporting H.264 from the After Effects Render Queue

How to download After Effects Beta: 

However, if you are rendering your After Effects project via Media Encoder for other file formats, sometimes you might run into an issue where Media Encoder opens but the composition isn't added to the queue. Follow the troubleshooting steps given in this article to solve the problem: https://adobe.ly/2VenHZr

If the steps given in the article don't help you, we need to collect dynamic link logs from your computer and share them with the After Effects team. Please follow these steps on your computer and share the log files with any Adobe staffer in the community.

1. In After Effects, choose Help > Enable Logging
  2. Restart After Effects and open your project that exhibits the problem
  3. Send your composition to Adobe Media Encoder
  4. After you have successfully replicated the problem, choose Help > Reveal Logging File in After Effects. A bunch of folders will open revealing different kinds of After Effects logs
  5. Look for the file named "LiveLink Log.txt"
  6. Upload the "LiveLink Log.txt" file to Adobe Creative Cloud and share the URL with us. Instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html. Feel free to use any other file-sharing service if you want.

NOTE: Sharing the logs with the After Effects team doesn't assure an immediate fix. In some cases, you may get an immediate resolution while in others, it will help the After Effects team to get to the root of the problem and drive product enhancements.

TOPICS
Dynamic link , FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, so I guess I'm not he 1st?!

her's my log file to this matter:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/c9332c37-b2c2-4b28-5278-492108506504

(and just to make sure I also attached it 😉

I hope this is what you ment by "share the log file with us"?!

I seriously hope this issue get's solved soon!!!

GRZ \m/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok,

so, since I can't do any work untill this issue is solved, I will mess around with diffent setups (enabling, disabling, opening, closing, cleaning, re-installing...) as mentioned above and drop you the Log files here... until someone on the other end of the line figures out what's wrong...

LLLink: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/14655072-60cd-42bb-6854-874d76836608

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this time I tried a more simple composition, after a reboot with all external monitors and hardware unplugged... aperently, it didn't help...

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/295fd705-d1fd-4052-490a-c64d63d98b4d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, so this is interesting.

I did manage to export my composition via the AE render cue directly, AFTER disapling the multi-frame render setting in the preferences!

Before I did try to first add it to the AE render cue and then via the Media Encoder. The ME did show me a cue in it's render list which had a different render setting (h.264 - propably from my last use of the ME)  then the one in the AE render cue (quicktime custom prores 422)...

so ofcourse, no results via the Media Encoder!

here's the Log file: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/7190c776-2f76-4bec-4c98-7829daaf8157

well, at least I can continue working (somehow) although I do make use of exporting via the ME, so please make sure the next update fixes this issue!!!

It does semm aparent that it's some bugg concerning the dynamic link between AE and the ME!

oh, and as an add-on to this: After Effects does not realy close when I close it. the process is still running in the backround and I have to close it via the task manager!

GRZ \m/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also on a Mac m1 and this is a consistent issue.  LiveLink Log.txt isn't generated for me.  Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as Taekkra, all of a sudden (after 2022 update) cannot add to media encoder queue from AE. No livelink log file generated...

Also on m1 Mac. Before the cloud update, had no prior issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. No Log and unable to add to AME (v22) from After Effects (v22).

I am in the middle of project and this is pretty severe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Have tried:

- Uninstalling and (painstakingly) reinstalling AE and AME.
 - Deleting Preferences for both

- Running Adobe cleaner tool for both

- Disabling multi-frame rendering

- Adding it to the queue first then adding to AME from there

And, I have an extra issue: The files exported straight from the queue have messed up audio, it's as if it's putting a +20dB gain on it and causing it to clip to hell.
Unbelievable, that we're on version 24 of these apps and we STILL have this happen every single time they update them. No to mention the breaking of all plugins and shortcuts and forcing us to re-do those because the folder gets renamed to the year version, AND leaves a trail of old files behind. Come on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanx Adobe for releasing a new update.... problem: it solved NOTHING 😞

still the only way to export anything from AE is via the own render-cue (at least!)

oh, BTW it is a AE problem! PP, CH, AU they all make use of the ME with no hustle.

plus, I had some projects that used dynamic link between PP and AE, and they ofcourse are all shot to hell...

so untill you solved this issue, it does mean a lot of time working around it, which I can not ask my clients to pay for ...

(yes, I tried ALL the work arounds to be found in all these forms and as (scarsly) provided by your company!)

and please forgive the frustrated tone, but after rougly 1+ week of handling this issue on a daily (& nightly) basis while being in the midst of a major project for an important customer, I am starting to be a little bit annoyed... 😉

here's my Log-Link:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/e423a43e-9a79-4c3d-55d3-4b4f53aa468c

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the trick and untick the Render multiframe alternative in the settingsmeny under Rendering option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bassically tried every proposed solution I could find (including the one you suggested)... even tried combinations of solutions and in the end did de-install, re-install and clean up EVERYTHING from Adobe on my computer... results remain the same... and as all this trouble-shooting is costing me quite a bit of time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess this just apply to Windows version then. To bad. I wonder how this big of a bug can slipp thru the testing panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Taekrakra,

Sorry about that. Usually these updates won't fix migrations containing dynamic links you have "in place." I would try to migrate previous projects to the new version once more. How does that work?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For folks who are still struggling with this, I've figured out a work around so I can at least get my work done. I uninstalled the 22.0 version of both After Effects and ME, and installed the last version that worked (v 18.4.2). It's not a particularly elegant solution, but it's being working smoothly in the mean time until Adobe figures this bug out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z44w-ockq3UNmgxc2IaOwB7jxkb3ltMT/view?usp=sharing

Let me know what I can do. It says connecting but never does.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
I followed all th structures and updated versions but could not solve link problem between AE and ME. here is the my log file
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oUdZyvEeCflQj3qvgy7i9uGyqXTkntAC?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any way we could get some form of an official update on this? v22.0.1 Clearly did not work to fix this problem for all users. It's also clear that rolling back to v18.4.1 does fix the problem for all users. @Rameez_Khan references there's an internal issue Adobe is using to track this problem, given it's a showstopper for many users I would expect a higher level of transparency here.  

All:

Please see the below links to the weird and obscure site Adobe appears to use in order to track user feedback. Not sure if they monitor this more than here, but worth posting if you're having this problem.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/44441427-fix-after-effects...

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/44140218-actually-let-us-m...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed your instructions and here is my log file:
https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/83a7194d-0ab8-4ea2-6211-57041e92d9a3

My issue is that AME won't queue my AE comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Posting to recieve updates.

Perhaps worth noting, I'm on an M1 Mac, running Adobe '22 - all worked fine until today. Not sure if this is a clue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
I did everything as follows and here is the link to Logs: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/48a20b6e-a8c2-4586-7c12-a16328e67a07

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really hope this helps someone out, as this has been driving me nuts for days.

• Use the Render queue to export a Quicktime verison of your project
  • Go to the Media browser in AME and manually select the QT file.
  • AME will ask you for permission to access the folder (Desktop in my case).
  • Cross your fingers!

After giving access permission my queue filled up with a dozen or so projects that I'd been trying to export without success, I deleted them and tried to add another, it worked!

For the record Adobe (and speaking as someone who has been using your products daily for well over 20 years), your apps are getting buggier and less intuative with every release, I wish you'd try and concentrate on doing what you do well rather than everything badly. It's really making our working lives miserable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines