Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feather a shape layer

Participant ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has to be possible. Right?

I am trying to create a mask for an animated layer. The animated layer is increasing in scale while changing its position to move off the bottom of the composition. I can create a perfect MASK for that layer, but it moves with the layer. If I could lock the mask, that would be great.

So, instead, I am trying to create a TRACK MATTE. The problem is, I can create the right ellipse to MATTE the animating layer underneath. But, I can't soften it's edges. I've tried adding a glow effect, but it's not enough.

I know this is simple. I've spent 45 minutes trying to do it myself and looking for similar questions/posts... but nothing has helped.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

UPDATE:

Okay, I still don't know if I can feather a Shape Layer.

But, I did finally solve my problem. I don't know if it's the most elegant solution—but, I added a SOLID layer. Created my feather MASK on that layer, and then used the ALPHA TRACK MATTE on my animated layer.

Still curious about feathering shapes....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just come across this problem and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIBPS2D_ESU

Basically just apply a drop shadow (effect) on your track matte, then:

- check the "shadow only" checkbox

- distance: 0

- opacity: 100

and play with the softness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is too funny!  I didnt read down to the bottom of this thread and after mucking around a bit I landed on "adding a drop shadow" to the shape!  (I was trying to have the 'sun' rise from a misty bog and the hard edge of the track matte was not working).  The drop shadow works well enough with the opacity and softness way up.  I'll add a link to the final result when I finish it.  Finally a decent work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines