• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

fps problem in after effects

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a problem with fps in after effects cc 2017   and the number 23 is keep getting bigger but very slowely , but in after effects cc 15 it starts from 4801 ram alreadyScreenshot (30).png

[Moved from After Effects Resources to the After Effects support forum - moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

After Effects will usually not play things through smoothly until it's been cached. After Effects is not like a video editing program. Premiere Pro, for example, will just play through video and audio files quite smoothly without needing to cache anything (assuming no effects have been applied), but AE doesn't work that way.

Now, in recent versions of After Effects this has been improved, but generally speaking After Effects needs to cache a preview first before it can play it back. This is one o

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening while its caching or has it already cached (that is, is the green line over your timeline)?

What, exact, version of AE CC 2017 are you running? Is it 14.2.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's version 14.0.1

and sorry i cant understand of the meaning of (Is this happening while its caching or has it already cached (that is, is the green line over your timeline)?)

coulkd you please illustrate it more

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you new to After Effects? Are you using one of the default presets for composition settings? What is the frame rate of your comp? What kind of footage are you working with. What kind of effects are you using? Without details it is impossible to tell you what may be wrong. The slow preview rate may well be completely normal for your project. I have some comps that take as many as 7 minutes a frame to render at full resolution. I have others that render at the rate of several frames per minute.

If you are new please start here to figure out how AE works and what to expect: Basic AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i am new to after effects ,

Operating System:Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
DirectX version:12.0
GPU processor:GeForce 940MX
Driver version:378.78
Direct3D API version:12
Direct3D feature level:11_0
CUDA Cores:384
Core clock:1122 MHz
Memory data rate:1800 MHz
Memory interface:64-bit
Memory bandwidth:14.40 GB/s
Total available graphics memory:10182 MB
Dedicated video memory:4096 MB DDR3
System video memory:0 MB
Shared system memory:6086 MB
Video BIOS version:82.08.59.00.75
IRQ:Not used
Bus:PCI Express x4 Gen3
Device ID:10DE 134D 8216103C
Part Number:2701 0006

http://Screenshot (34).png

and i am using red giant effect but by the way it does this without using effect also , when i try onlyu to put a picture and song when i play the song it does this lag dropage in fps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects will usually not play things through smoothly until it's been cached. After Effects is not like a video editing program. Premiere Pro, for example, will just play through video and audio files quite smoothly without needing to cache anything (assuming no effects have been applied), but AE doesn't work that way.

Now, in recent versions of After Effects this has been improved, but generally speaking After Effects needs to cache a preview first before it can play it back. This is one of the biggest "gotchas" that bite newbies in the butt if they haven't gone through a decent Getting Started course.

Speaking of latest versions, have you considered updating? The latest version is 14.2.0.x

Anyway, here's an example. Here is my timeline as I'm working in a project. Note that there is green over the frame I am on (AE has rendered that frame to show it to me in the composition window), but there is no green anywhere else. If I hit play, it will be jerky and slow as AE renders the frames:

0nocache.jpg

Now that I've cached the preview, there is green over my whole timeline and I can play it back real time:

0nocache.jpg

There are settings in your preview panel you can mess with to change how AE does previews (and you can specify different behaviors for starting and stopping with different keys too).

You really, really need to go through some getting started resources to understand how all of this works. AE is way too complicated to try to use it without a solid foundation first!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam​ thanks you very much i appreciated your helping i will update the AE and start an course to understand it , and thanks very much again .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam understande you ,  the green light doesn't appear in an project i used in it red giant effect but the green line doesn't appear and in anotherr project i didn't use an effect i only used a picture and song and the green line appears

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam and  i tried also to use an audio spectrum  effect and it also doesnt appear the green light .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The green line will appear over your timeline as you play your preview. It will be choppy and slow, but then the next time it goes through, it will be much faster. It is probably best to check small sections of a few seconds long by adjusting your work area.

Again, this will all be covered in a good "getting started" course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, this was from nearly 3 years ago, but do you recommend any quality, free, courses? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I mean nearly 4 years ago!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines