• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get output of layer after applied effects and transformations?

Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I can get the pixel data of a layer either by calling Sampling8Suite1()->subpixel_sample() or by directly acessing the layer's data field.

Both methods work fine, but give me only the pixels before any effects or transformations (scaling, rotation, etc.) have been applied on a layer.

Example: I add a red solid and on this red solid I add the effect "Fractal Noise".

On another layer I add my plugin which samples the input of the first layer. But it will never give me the fractal noise output, only the red solid pixels.

DId I miss something somewhere or is this not possible within AE?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in short, no such functionality is offered.

there are however some exceptions:

1. if you checkout your own layer, even at times other than the current, and you do it using the smartFX checkout_layer() funciton, then you get it post all effects previous to yours in the stack.

2. you can checkout any project item, so if you checkout a comp with only one layer in it, you get that layer post transform and effects.

3. write an artisan (the plug-ins that render comps such as "advanced 3D"). artisans get post effects/transform layers.

sorry.

not much good news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to resurrected a dead thread, but is this still the case? Or has there been any updates to enable checking out another layer post effects? Thanks.

Edit: seems you already answered that Shachar, but only on cc2017. "on cc2017 you can checkout other layers post masks and effect".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, this is available in CC 2017.1 (14.2).  The SDK Guide has some info:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/aftereffects/sdk/cc2017.html

It's also worth noting that what is checked out is a user-facing option in the layer parameter controls in the Effect Controls, and transparent to the effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines