Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting odd distortions and banding on dark backgrounds in after effects

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

I recently filmed an ad for aperol and am trying to ad some motion graphics to it in AE. While the footage looks clean and renders clean in premiere pro, as soon as I drop the premiere pro sequence into AE, dark circles start to appear on the homogenous gray backdrop. It doesnt go away when i render it. 

So far ive also tried render the raw premiere pro clip in AVI and import it into AE like that but the same thing happened.

I also tried different codecs and nothing changed.

Thanks for reading.

I hope someone knows whats going on 

Cheers

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

That issue is called banding and it can happen with fine gradients in limited color spaces.

Did you try rendering out of Premiere Pro to see if that banding appears in a render from there?

What color space is your AE proejct set to? (8, I'm guessing?) Try 32 and see if the banding goes away.

Add some noise in AE to not only combat the banding you're seeing in AE, but also to help MP4 compression not add its own banding.

Many ways to add noise. I usually use Renoiser from Red Giant's Magic Bull

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That issue is called banding and it can happen with fine gradients in limited color spaces.

Did you try rendering out of Premiere Pro to see if that banding appears in a render from there?

What color space is your AE proejct set to? (8, I'm guessing?) Try 32 and see if the banding goes away.

Add some noise in AE to not only combat the banding you're seeing in AE, but also to help MP4 compression not add its own banding.

Many ways to add noise. I usually use Renoiser from Red Giant's Magic Bullet Suite - either on its own or as part of color grading with Magic Bullet Looks - because it's a more film-correct kind of grain where shadows and highlights are treated differently and such. But you can also do it in AE a number of ways. I used to just apply a Noise effect at 100% amount to a 50% grey solid and then drop its opacity down to 2-6% (depending on how much banding I was needing to fight).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks man, you're a beast! changing color space to 32 bit worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it helped!

Keep in mind my suggestion on adding grain for when you export whether from Premiere Pro or AE to prevent banding with your H.264 exports. MP4s are notorious for introducing banding. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you compress for MP4 you are stuck with 8-bit color compressed in blocks of 4 pixels. There is no way around that. To hide the banding that will appear in subtle color changes you need to add just a little bit of noise. This keeps the color compression + the 8-bit color depth from causing as many problems. Check the color value change over the distance from the brightest area to the edge of the straw. There are only 13 steps, divide that by the 4-pixel average and you are going to get four or five bands of compressed color unless you add a little noise to the background when you render an 8-Bit H.264 file.  It's not as bad as it was when broadcast TV required us to clip the color range even further.

colorValue.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info! I definitely learned a whole lot today! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What exactly do you mean by background? Can i not just ad an adjustment layer and put some noise over everything like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines