• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Globally change fill color of shapes?

Enthusiast ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to easily change the fill/stroke color of many shape layers at once?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first thought is to combine the shapes into one shape layer and group them, and then use the fill property for the group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but each one is already animated. I'll try Rick's idea of making a preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternately, if it's something you need to change a lot, or animate, create a Collor Controller and pickwhip the fill colour of all the shape layers to that controller. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an animation preset? Have not tried it but it's worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just select all the shape you want, or shape layers you want, and just double-click on the fill/stroke color box on the toolbar (tools), select a new color, press ok. That simple !

You can also change stroke width (by clicking on X px), or even fill/stroke type to gradient (by clicking on Fill or Stroke)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, is this a CC thing? That doesn't seem to work on my Mac CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just tested it under osx cs6, and win cs4. works nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure you are using the correct tools - i'm talking about the fill and stroke controls on the right side of this image.

ae_toolbar.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize I'm responding to a string that's been quiet for over a year, and it's a pretty silly question – but...how do you turn those particular color controls in the toolbar "on"? They were there, but then I reset my workspace after changing monitor configuration and they're gone. And I can't figure out what they might be called in options to bring them back.

Theme music!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...I'm a moron.

Turns out if you need to have the selection tool active for the fill and stroke color options to show up up there. Yes. The selection tool. Which, you know. Makes sense. How about a round of applause for this guy right here? Sheesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just select all the shape you want, or shape layers you want, and just double-click on the fill/stroke color box on the toolbar (tools), select a new color, press ok. That simple !

You can also change stroke width (by clicking on X px), or even fill/stroke type to gradient (by clicking on Fill or Stroke)

Only works with the "dumb" shape layers created directly with the drawing tools. Any chnage in the internal hierarchy with grouping or moving properties around will prevent this from functioning.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope, still working nicely on hand-drawn shapes, even grouped. The only thing is if you select multiple shapes that have for example different fill color, you'll get a question mark in the color box - but if you click on it and change color, all selected shape/shape layer will get that new color - exactly what I would expect and exactly the same result as Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you have to select the shape, not the layer... That's actually my point. It really doesn't work with complex constructs where you can't select the shapoe directly or have applied multiuple strokes/ fills at different levels of the hierarchy.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hm, I understand what you mean. If you have multiple strokes on a layer, or even in a group, it will change them all (in fact, found that it reenable hidden stroke if you just change color, weird).

But even in illustrator, this is almost the same behaviour. Select a layer that have some shapes, some sub-layers and some groups in it, change the color, and it change every sub-element in it. The only difference is if there is multiple strokes or fills, it will change only the top-most (in ae, it change all of multiple stroke...)

However, you can change the stroke of only a selected sub-group, of shape if you select in the timeline whatever you want.

group1

fill1 - red

+   group2

fill2 - green

+      group3

fill3 - blue

if you select group2 and change the fill by using the toolbar to purple, both fill2 and fill3 will become purplee but not fill1 - exactly like in illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, it also works for opacity! I did a "creat shapes from vector" but did not want the fills. Thanks for this "chauffeurdevan", I was looking at 141 layers and panicked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could create a tint effect and change the B & Wto whatever colour your choose then copy and paste it to each layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Add a control layer on the top of all the layers you want to tint with the color.

Add an effect called Change color. Choose the color you want to change and the color you want to substitute it with. 

It works nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines