• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hard drive noises

Participant ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When my computer is rendering complicated previews, it often sounds like jet engines preparing for take-off. Besides being distracting, I'm worried that this is harming my drives.SSD drives on a Windows 10 machine. I just changed the cache folder from my main C drive to an internal SSD media drive to see if that helped as well as perhaps speeding up previews. It did neither. 

Is this normal?

TOPICS
Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not really useful. You have not provided any info about your system and what specifically you may or may not have observed by monitoring task manager/ resource monitor. There could literally be a gazillion reasons why your cooling fans rev up from the computer simply being too crammed and having poor internal airflow design to of course genuine issues with e.g. GPU acceleration sending your system into a death spiral. Anyway, you need to be much, much more specific.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had thought that, perhaps, this was typical/standard behavior that could be easily verified. Sorry I offended you. I did describe SSD drives on a Windows machine. Other info:

DavidacrossAmerica_0-1673030692784.png

During preview:

DavidacrossAmerica_1-1673030929348.png

DavidacrossAmerica_2-1673031007601.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is normal on many of the machines that I work with for the hard drive to spin a lot while rendering and with other challeninging tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It's just that AE rendering is the only thing that does this on this machine even though I do other hi demand tasks. I guess AE is just higher demand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your fans are spinning to cool your graphics card and your processors. You have SSDs so your drives arent spinning up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I should have known that, thank you. I'll look for quiter fans on my next machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it is worth, Apple Silicon based computers are whisper quiet even when under s heavy load.  Check the benchmarks for whether or not an M1 based system is in keeping with the performance of your current workstation based on how you work in After Effects and if it's a good match, enjoy the silence.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The acid test would be to run a game or a game-based benchmark. If the problem appears there, then you know it's normal. If not, then indeed AE is the culprit and we once more can only advise to update the graphics driver, check hardware acceleration settings and all that. Excessive fan activity can indicate broken drivers where AE is simply hammering your GPU and it doesn't respond correctly, getting too hot and then the fans max out. Same for your NVMe/ SSD drives. If they can't keep with AE's cache, they, too, may simply rev up to compensate.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines