• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help Appreciated. After Effects Error: missing data in file. (33::4)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I got a problem that I've not encountered before and therefore I need some professional help.

I've recently done a whole film which I completed earlier today, around 1:00 PM and I exported the file to render at Adobe Media Encoder but my program didn't want to connect to Dynamic link.

And my subscription been going through some transaction problems but that's solved now, but since it didn't work I quit the programs and went out for a walk and had some dinner blablabla.

I came back to the computer to finish up the project so I launch Adobe After Effects and encountered an Error which said: "After Effects Error: missing data in file. (33::4)"

Searched on Google to find a solution and I've tried a couple of solutions.

Example 1:

From (https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/after-effects-error-missing-data-in-file-33-4/td-p/9524...) [LINK]

1. try creating a new project and import (not open, but import) the old project to the new. if that works, track down the offending composition/file.

2. try changing the name/location of your footage folder to force Ae to misplace it and see if you can open the project file with unlinked footage material. a bad file could be the cause for it and by linking them selectively you could troubleshoot this.

for next time make sure you increment and save (autosave is not enough)

Nothing happens and this doesn't work.

Example 2:

From (https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=2&postid=1126562&univpostid=1126562&pvie...) [LINK]

Posts like yours are heartbreaking to read. I wish you the best of luck trying to recover your work.

This may be too late for you now, but hundreds or thousands of hours of work don't belong in a single copy of a single file. Here's my advice on protecting your After Effects work in the future:

http://www.renderbreak.com/2015/07/walters-field-notes-on-safeguarding-afte...

This is a bit of a longshot, but have you ever rendered from your Ae project with Adobe Media Encoder? If yes, you might still have the temporary file that the process creates.

Search your computer for "tmpAEtoAMEProject" and see if you can find anything.

I saw that the answer above mentions Adobe Media Encoder and when I search for "tmpAEtoAMEProject" and I find old saves on my project but when I load them it doesn't work.

I don't know what to do and I want to render and just post this video, I'm completely done with it. It only needs to be rendered.

If you need any more information please tell me and I'll reply with logs or something, thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

I noticed this error too, today on projects that I have been working for a while. They came up right after updating to today's 17.0.1 version of AE. Try rolling back to 17.0, if your situation is similar. Any project that I save with 17.0.1 gives me that missing data error. But those same projects open fine in 17.0 version. 17.0 crashes on every RAM preview for me... but that's another thread/ another story.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience! 🙂

We have released a new update for After Effects with a fix for the error 33:4 while opening the project. We would recommend you to update to version 17.0.2 and then check if the issue reoccurs. Check out this article to know more: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/fixed-issues.html

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this error too, today on projects that I have been working for a while. They came up right after updating to today's 17.0.1 version of AE. Try rolling back to 17.0, if your situation is similar. Any project that I save with 17.0.1 gives me that missing data error. But those same projects open fine in 17.0 version. 17.0 crashes on every RAM preview for me... but that's another thread/ another story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually in tears of how happy I am for your correct answer, you sir saved my work and therefore my whole week.

I was able to uninstall Adobe After Effects and reinstall the 1.70 version of After Effects and that worked correctly, how wonderful of you. Thanks so much! I hope this helps more people because it wasn't so complicated when you know what to do.

Thanks, mate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching back to AE 17.0 helped me recover my corrupt project!! Thanks so much wow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

APPRECIATED! Thank you so much, it worked! This saved me hours and from stressing out! I know this is months later but be sure to update your programs everyone, it helps a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked for me too!!! I install AAF 2019, open the corrupted file, save as... and that's it.

Thank you guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too! Thank You so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HIGHLY appreciate you for this!! You totally saved me from stressing out! THANK YOU! Happy holidays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG Dude, you saved me. Thank you! This worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This totally worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're sorry for the inconvenience caused. We have observed this as a known issue and our engineering team is investigating it.

Please continue using AE 17.0 till we get any further news. We'll keep you updated.

Thanks for understanding,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find the 17.0.0 download link

The creative cloud desktop app only lists the 17.0.1 version available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, if you open Creative Cloud desktop app and go to the After Effects program there should be an options link to the right of the "open" tab where you can choose uninstall and choose a different version of the program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done it on the older version of the creative cloud desktop app before, but not the new one

At the dropdown menu next to the "open" btn that you mentioned I can only see uninstall as an option.

also at the After Effect preview page, I can only see 17.0.1 as an option, no other older version listed there

Annotation 2019-12-14 193538.jpgAnnotation 2019-12-14 193605.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud > Preferences > Apps > Settings > Show Older Apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't have the "show older apps" 😞Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 10.56.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do we know when you fixed it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll keep you updated. Do not worry! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has this been fixed? seem to be having this problem now in 2020 (I'm ner to AE)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi shivangi,

I have the same problem getting error (33::4) , it's happen when you use the roto brush tool ! save the file than you cannot reopen it and get the error again ! I see that you are suggesting to use the AE 17.0 Version , but i deleted right after uploading AE 17.01 so ....

I do not see the AE 2019 version anymore on Adobewebsite !

Where or How  can i uploaded it back?  the time you guys fix the 17.0 1 (2020 version )

Thank you so much ! 

Dom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the trouble @dominiqueb57454633 and thanks for sharing the details. After Effects version 17.0.0 does not have this issue and you can install it using the Creative Cloud desktop app. Here's how: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Two files. Days of work. Will the fix not only keep this from happening but fix the damaged files? It's startling that 20 years into a program's life it still has trouble with opening and saving but here we are...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i just finished a project using the roto-brush tool and am having the same issue. What happens if I am not able to go back to the 17.0.0 version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines