• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! How do I Configure HDD + SSD

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I've searched so much but I can't find a thread explaining how to setup HDD + SSD. I'll explain everything before I ask for help.

So, I have been using my acer Nitro 5 AN-515-43 laptop since last 1.5 years and my experience with after effects has always been a bit slow. The main problem is not rendering, it's with the lags which come in After Effects. Like, sometimes the whole software would kinda freeze and it says After Effects is not responding. And many times, I hit spacebar for playback and it takes 2 minutes just to start playing and when it stops, then to start again, I again have to wait 2 minutes 😞 also the playback is laggy (even though I keep resolution to quarter) 

Here are the specifications of the Laptop.

GPU - GTX 1650

CPU - RYZEN 5 3550H

RAM - 16GB

1TB HDD

NO SSD 😞

Afterall, I've decided to buy WD SN550 SSD (500GB) for the laptop. Please guide me about how should I configure stuff. Like, it's obvious that I'll install the OS and After Effects Software on SSD. But what all should I do after this for max performance? Where should I keep the raw clips which I have to import, and where to store the project files, and where should I store cache (and how to make AE store it there?). Should I keep clearing cache after every project I complete? 

I'd be very grateful if someone could guide me through this, since I've never used an SSD before and have always used the HDD which came with laptop. I don't know how to setup and use SSD 😞

Thanks!! 

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , How to , Import and export , Performance , Preview , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to make it complicated. You still store all your source files and projects on the conventional HDD, you just assign the cache to your SSD. The cache parameters can easily be set in the preferences.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with everything Mylenium is saying but wanted to pick up on one thing, when you say you hit the spacebar you have to wait and playback is laggy, AE is not playing the files like a video editor, it's compiling frames into the RAM.  Depending on your preview settings (caveat it this because you can change it) hitting the spacebar is also pre-processing the audio files before it starts playing the sequence.  When it is laggy, that's because AE isn't able to keep up with playing back while processing frames into the RAM.

A few years ago, you had to build up the ram first, you could watch it go frame-by-frame before being able to playback the sequence. Then Adobe improved its preview, but I do think it's led to confusion over what's happening when you hit the spacebar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great insight from Shivering Cactus - make sure you understand how AE actually works - it's NOT a video editor, and you will never get instant playback on anything but the most basic compositions. Apologies if that seems like a basic thing to say, but many people do seem confused about that. 

To your question - this video would be a good place to start. Let us know if these recommendations don't get you some improvement. https://youtu.be/M2jsG0D8kAU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines