• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help, issues with 3D Layers

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make an animation that scrolls, this is the first project I've done in after effects and I'm sure I'm butchering it. I followed a tutorial that said a way to do this was to create a camera and then make all layers 3d but this seems to create a lot of issues. Now I've gotten to the point where I can't create a shape or draw a line on a 3d layer at my current position. If I draw a shape it immeidately disappears, if I click the pen tool and go to draw I get the error sound. The only way I can get new layers on the board are to draw them with 3D layer off, and then once I turn it on the image snaps all the way to the beginning of my canvas, I have to minimize way out and grab the now 3D layer and drag it all the way to my current position...for every layer. Seemingly randomly these layers will simply then stop showing up, where I can see the path and it has stroke but the stroke doesn't display. Not knowng why I just have to do the whole thing over again and then it works...for no reason I can understand. On some shapes I will be able to move some anchor points but other ahcnors points I cannot move...on the same line. And in some instances it will let me move it in one direction but if I move it in another direction it goes haywire (see attached screen grab). I don't understand what's going on here is there something dumb I'm missing?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what bad tutorials you are following, but that's really a terrible workflow. Create your scroll in pre-compositions, then use those as 3D layers in the parent comp, with collapsed transformations if necessary. That's how people do it all the time and you seem to have found the most awful tutorial on the planet if it doesn't explain this. For anything more specific provide some screenshots and more explanations what you are actually trying to do/ achieve.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mylenium! Is there a tutorial you know of that explains what you're suggesting? I'm a visual learner I'm not sure I understand what you're saying but I trust you that the way I'm doing it isn't the best way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's tons of Star Wars titles inspired tutorials out there, which is basically what it boils down to. Here's one for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWJUdOJEBI

Anyway, it's not black magic. The key point you're really missing is trying to do everything directly. Once you start working with pre-compositions, things will fall into place.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines