Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Script errors "null is not an object"

Participant ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a scripter, but I use scripts from aescripts.com

Recently, after migrating to a new machine, many of my scripts aren't working, they throw an error "Unable to execute script at line 94. null is not an object"

At least 2 scripts mention the same line number, which is odd.

The folks at aescripts said it was a permissions error on home folder, but I re-installed Ae, chowned and chmodded my home folder ... nothing works.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried installing AE in the main Applications folder, in HD, rather than in the Home folder's Application folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always install via Creative Cloud, in /Applications.

I never installed in my home folder.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what scripts? What built-in (not user-defined) functions are called at those lines? assuming there is any pattern to this madness it probably means that some internals have changed and you may need to rewrite some stuff. It also seems that the auto-catch where AE tries to determine wehther a value or function/ method is referenced is not working relaibly in recent AE versions, so you may need to append and explicit .value() somewhere or soemthing trivial and silly like that...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scripts are BG Renderer Pro and GEOLayers -- both of which are locked so I can't view the script code, so I don't think I can diagnose in any of the ways you suggest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone?? HELP!?!? This is driving me nuts. Tried reinstalling Ae, reinstalling the Scripts... nada...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi shonib,

Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if you have or if you still need help. You also might want to contact aescripts support to ask them for assistance.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin!
im having the same problem..
(With Motion V2 and SwissKnife) 
i reinstalled the scripts, AE and all my creative cloud suite but nothing worked...
frustrated and dont know what to do
(happens to me both on AE19 and 20)
im working on imac 2019 Mojave
any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 11.44.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME ISSUE HERE! PLEASE HEEEEELP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas?  Same issue here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skärmavbild 2021-12-19 kl. 15.53.56.png

 
Same problem here... 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well. Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1g0b6mSuBK.pngAfterFX_IXWlnvE9La.png

Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use DropBox backup, this is likely the issue.  AEScripts did a nice writeup.  Here is a link to their post:  https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/dropbox-macos-warning/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RhinoMI Thank you! This was exactly my issue. Disabling Dropbox back up only for my Desktop folder resolved the issues I was having with my AE Scripts not loading and throwing that "null is not on object" issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! You saved my bacon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RhinoMI Thank you. This worked 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me- I dont even have that option in my backups tab.  Signing out and quitting didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you already found a soultion? I don't even have Dropbox and it wont work ond my Mac either....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines