• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with After Effects' expressions

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm actually working on simulations of movements and I'd like to make an expression to set position and rotation in function of time . my functions are :

position : X(t)= 15(cm/s)* t (s)

rotation :  F(t)= -5(rad/s) *t (s)

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let's tackle your position expression first: position : X(t)= 15(cm/s)* t (s)

Position is an array and it looks like this: [x, y, z]

The values are x = [0], y = [1], and z = [2]

Time is defined by the word "time"

distance is measured in pixels not in centimeters.

If you want to control the position of x you must define x as a formula multiplying the initial value by time and a number of pixels you want it to move over a given amount of time. The easiest way to do this is to define the number of pixels, divide time into frames, then multiply the existing value of x by the pixels per frame.

The expression would look like this:

x = value[0];

y = value[1];

s = 2; // speed in pixels per frame
m = time/thisComp.frameDuration;

newx = x + (m * s);

[newx, y]

If you need the movement to exist on a 3D layer then add z = value[2]; and change the last line to [x, y, z]

Adjust the value of s to match your composition. If you want the layer to move in the other direction change the plus to a - sign for the calculation newx.

Now let's look at your rotation expression: rotation :  F(t)= -5(rad/s) *t (s)

You've almost got it except that rotation is measured in degrees and you'll want to set up your expression to rotation speed in º per frame. There is no array for rotation so the language is a little easier.

The expression would look like this:

r = value;

s = .5 // degrees per frame

m = time/thisComp.frameDuration;

newr = r - (m * s);

Same deal here. Adjust the value of s to get the speed you want and change the minus sign to a plus in the newr calculation to change direction. Both allow you to set an initial value for the property or even additional keyframes if needed. That's why I used the value statement.

Hope this helps. I'd suggest reading the expression guide in the help files. Once you get a handle on the language the math is fairly easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines