• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can change the length of an effect?

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just wondering if there is a way to change how long an effect can go in after effects, not sure if it has something to do with keyframes but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can turn an effect on or off by adding a mask to the layer, setting the Compositing options to use the mask, then animate the mask opacity. For example, I added Black and White and Brush Strokes to this clip with a Subtract mask in the middle, set the mask to subtract, added it to the Compositing Options for both effects, then animated mask opacity from zero to 100%. The result is a normal clip that changes to black and white + brush strokes outside the mask as the opacity changes.

Compositing Options.png

Compositing options work with almost all effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is any number of ways to control how effects are applied and for how long from simple layer splitting to using internal effects controls to control intensities to the already mentioned compositing controls. You have to be much more specific for a concrete answer. Generic "Can I do this and that?" usually questions don't go anywhere. I would also strongly suggest you actualyl start by reading the online help on some basics.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you're getting started, i think the simplest way to control how long you want an effect to be applied is to duplicate the video layer with the effect on, and keyframe it's opacity to fade it on and off.  You could also trim the clips in the timeline.  There are multiple other ways to do this, but this is probably the most visual way to see what's happening in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me, the easiest way is to change the Effect Opacity property on the Timeline panel.
You can stop it abruptly or create a smooth fading. Later you can learn how to animate it with expressions and a great new experience 🙂

Here the effect is stopped quickly using the Opacity changing from 100 to 0 in the adjacent frames.
2021-08-27_19-13-26.png

2021-08-27_19-16-25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines