Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how can I live without vector paint?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2010 Aug 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey everyone

I use the vector paint plugin in AECS3 to create hand-drawn style line art animations.

I use vector paint applied to a solid together with my wacom cintiq to draw lines freehand. sometimes I use the 'animate strokes' setting within vector paint to make it look like the strokes are being drawn on.

there are some downsides to this plugin over the standard AE paint engine (principally that I cannot edit individual strokes, easily retime my strokes, or apply masks to my paint layer without precomping), but vector paint wins for me for 2 critical reasons:

1. I can paint directly in the comp window, meaning I can easily trace directly over another layer in my comp; and

2. Vector Paint has a built in wiggle engine which enables me to wiggle my paint strokes - this makes the images I draw feel dynamic and alive. it suits the simple hand drawn style of the animation.

as anyone who reads this forum will be aware, vector paint has been removed from CS5. I am needing to upgrade my creative suite but I need to be able to continue making this look for my clients.

my question to you all is how can I continue creating animations in this style with CS5?

Any feedback would be *most* appreciated!

cheers

dan

here are some examples of the kind of animation I am refferring to -some of these are WIPs so appear quite rough!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 103 Replies 103
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roe the shortcuts are nice but not usable for real world drawing....

can you show me the result of revealing something you drew via VP? I want to examine the workflow with only the drawing and trying to do this with paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a sample where VP was used for the first part of revealing the drawing.
Doing this with Paint and UK shortcuts would take 10x as long to accomplish.

Trump Front Line-Metrics 1080 Demo - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Thanks for making this clear. I agree that Doing this type of work requires a proffesional tool that is designated to either record the original strokes as you paint them or reveal them very quick. Hope you find what you are looking for. Please post if you find any efficient way to do this other then the method you already describe. lovely and expressive drawings BTW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well this unexpectedly looks promising... 3d compositing in MS Paint....

Microsoft Paint app for Windows 10 - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines