• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do I apply a pseudo effect to a layer from a script?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys I have seen a few scripts that apply custom pseudo effects on layers. can anyone help me as to how that was done?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Hi buddy. It's rather easy.

1. Apply Pseudo Effect to a layer.

2.Select this effect in timeline (make sure no other properties are selected) and save Animation Preset by going Animation -> Save Animation Preset.

3. In JavaScript script, select a layer you want to apply Pseudo Effect on and do

layer.applyPreset(File("pathToFFXfile"))

If you want to be more fancy about it, take a look at this snippet Apply Pseudo Effect as Animation Preset — Bitbucket

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi buddy. It's rather easy.

1. Apply Pseudo Effect to a layer.

2.Select this effect in timeline (make sure no other properties are selected) and save Animation Preset by going Animation -> Save Animation Preset.

3. In JavaScript script, select a layer you want to apply Pseudo Effect on and do

layer.applyPreset(File("pathToFFXfile"))

If you want to be more fancy about it, take a look at this snippet Apply Pseudo Effect as Animation Preset — Bitbucket

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the fancy way is exactly what i needed thanks so much. one last question how do you convert the ffx file to binary. when i open it in a text editor it gives me weird symbols and isnt legible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted a script here that will help you to convert ffx to binary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is no longer available. 
Do you still have that script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what script @Alex White had linked, but here's my version of the script that converts files into binary strings: https://bitbucket.org/rendertom/convert-to-binary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Tomas, 

Thanks for sharing the workaround with us. I used this and worked pretty well in AE version 21.

But I just tested on version 22. Kindly suggest if I need to modify this for newer version or is there any bug in newer version?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious, will this 'fancy' method take care of the "Missing:" warning in cs6 and earlier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Missing" message for a pseudoFX, for CS6 and earlier, was hardcoded to the app. The only way to prevent the "Missing" message was to first edit the PresetEffects.xml file, to point to the pseudoFX.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines