• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a moving background composed of a seamless texture?

Contributor ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can work pretty well with seamless textures in both Photoshop and Illustrator, but I'm having a problem figuring out how to use them in After Effects.

What I'm Trying to Do: Create a slowly moving background that uses one of my seamless textures as its basis.

It feels like something I should be able to do, but when I perform searches on this I encounter people who have exclusively used shape layers to achieve a slightly different outcome. Example: found one where a background changes in a kaleidoscopic fashion, but that's not what I'm going for. I'd like to make a diagonally moving field of whatever texture I choose.

The only method I can imagine (with my admittedly limited AE experience) would involve creating a premade image (maybe at 4K) which I could then move from corner to corner. You know... this is easier to show. I want to do this. (tried to embed; wouldn't work)

Is this the right thinking, or am I missing something more subtle and elegant? I find that is often the case with all these tools.

Thanks for your attention.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

If your textures are seamless then you should be able to just apply the  CC RepeTile effect and expand the texture out as needed

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your textures are seamless then you should be able to just apply the  CC RepeTile effect and expand the texture out as needed

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is apply Motion Tile then keyframe Tile Center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heh. I knew you people would know. I will explore those two things tonight and see what I can do.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay. I haven't ​yet implemented this but it is clear from fiddling around that this is the right thing to use. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines