• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I edit text that is in a seperate composition?

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pretty strightforward, except I have a slight complication.

I am making a showreel, and created an animated banner composition that I can drag and drop over my footage. So I can place it many times without needing to recreate it every single time, and have to change every single banner if I want to make a change.

But I cant seem to edit the text in the compositions after they have been dragged onto my footage, I can only change it for all of them by editing the composition, when I want them to all display different text, yet have the same animations and visuals.

How do I go about doing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

You can do it by using the Essential Graphics panel. Follow these steps:

1.- Open the Essential Graphics panel. Window > Essential Graphics.

2.- Under the Master category, select the Banner composition. (Check attached image)

3.- With your Banner composition open, drag the Source Text parameter of your text layer into the Essential graphics panel.

4.- If you click the Edit Properties button, you will be able to change the style and size of your text without modifying the original banner comp.

5.- Eve

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate the comp IN THE PROJECT WINDOW.  Don't do it while it's nested in a comp.  Rename this new comp in the project window.  Now you have an exact duplicate of your comp, completely independent from the original.  Change the text in the new comp and add it to your main comp.

And I gotta ask: if you're just stringing clips together, why aren't you using Premiere Pro?  It's a lot easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is, if I duplicate the comp it doesn't retain the changes I make to the original. Which Is was I need. I'd like to be able to create and instance where I can preserve the original design. But only modify the text.

The reason I am using After effects is because Premier crashes constantly, I need to be able to have more freedom with cutting and editing, not to mention after effects seems to be able to do everything I'd need premier to do and more, all with a better interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it by using the Essential Graphics panel. Follow these steps:

1.- Open the Essential Graphics panel. Window > Essential Graphics.

2.- Under the Master category, select the Banner composition. (Check attached image)

3.- With your Banner composition open, drag the Source Text parameter of your text layer into the Essential graphics panel.

4.- If you click the Edit Properties button, you will be able to change the style and size of your text without modifying the original banner comp.

5.- Every time you use this Banner comp as a precomp, if you have the Essential Graphics panel open, you can change the text, style and size without modifying the original composition.

Captura de pantalla 2019-04-30 a las 20.34.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This looks like exactly what I need. I will be able to try this tomorrow. I will be sure to come back and let you know how it goes.

Edit: it works! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Again, So I gave this a go. But I get as far as the 4th step with all of my text inside the Essential Graphics pannel. Yet I don't have the option to Edit properties for some reason.

Also, how do I use it as a Pre-Comp? Sorry if these seem like Novice questions. It's my first time using the Program. But thank you so much for all your help so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are way over complicating the process. Create your master text animation, select the text layer properties that you have animated, create an animation preset.

Every time you need this animation just add a new text layer and apply the animation preset. No pre-comps needed unless you have more than one layer in the text animation. I do this kind of thing all the time. If you can't use Premiere Pro (make sure your AE and PPro versions match and both are the latest release for that version) and Essential Graphics, then an animation preset is the way to go. I have a couple hundred that I have created and I use them all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except it's not just text. I explained that it is a banner, and I have included text information on it. There are a handful of text fields, and of course, an animated banner to go along with it. If I created an animation present, and dragged it onto the various text fields and shapes, if I ever needed to change anything about the design, I would need to modify all of them over again. Which is why I am opting to use compositions. Since then, if I ever need to change anything about the banner, be it the colours, opacity, or entire design, I can just tweak it in the Master composition, and it would automatically apply all changes across the board.

This is because I often have to make lots of subtle changes to make my reels a good as possible. And editing every single instance of my banner when I only want to change one thing is a huge time sink. So, having the ability to use a composition that simply has editable text fields on them is the best way to go for me.

If there is another feature that achieves the same effect I'd be glad to pick that up instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

christianm45841702  wrote

If there is another feature that achieves the same effect I'd be glad to pick that up instead.

There is an existing feature: multiple and independent nested comps, with changes made in each nested comp.  No magic bullets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines