• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i fade a video on one edge alone (fade to transparent)

Participant ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 1080p comp. And i put another overlay video on it dead centre in vertical orientation with a blend style set to add. All ok...just want the edges of the vertical video which are showing sharp to be softened...i just wanted the edges to fade to 0 opacity.

I want only the central part to have this overlay so thats no problem. But i dont want the edge to be seen so obviously. How to do this ?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apply a mask with feathering.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium... I tried that but its not working. Maybe i missed something ?

I drew a mask on the vertical clip but its not working. Also can i do this with an adjustment layer. As i want this feather fade only during a particular few seconds of the clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A feathered mask or a blurred solid layer as a track matte and a couple of keyframes are all that is required. A large Rectangular mask that is bigger than the layer with a 100-pixel feather added will include all of a layer. When you want the feathered edge to appear, set a keyframe for mask position, move down the timeline to where you want the transition to stop, select the mask path, then press Ctrl/Cmnd + t to select all vertices and grab the Transform box and move it in the direction you want the feathered edge to move and you're done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Rick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines